Wireless Control Everywhere

Scott Ciungan

Freshman
Oct 26, 2011
Detroit
www.burstllc.com
Hey Guys, Talking over with a friend about his upcoming tour, and we are trying to figure out how to have wireless control over his entire sound system with 1 tablet. Here is the scenerio. We have 4 XTA 224 processors, one in each rack that are down by the stage. We have a CPU rack with 2 Lake LM-44 Controllers, and a Smaart rig. As of right now we have a main computer in this rack that controls Smaart, the lake processors and the XTA processors. We want to find a way to go wireless but still have control at our main computer. Oh and we also want to integrate control over our two SC48 consoles with this tablet.

Re: Wireless Control Everywhere

Sounds like a remote desktop app on your tablet to a real PC somewhere running all that stuff. Good luck with interoperability with all that.

Re: Wireless Control Everywhere

You were golden until you got to this:
Oh and we also want to integrate control over our two SC48 consoles with this tablet.

If SMAART, the XTAs, and LAKEs are all already controlled by one computer then all you'd have to do is VNC into that computer from your tablet and you would be set. The main computer would have total access to all the attached gear as would the tablet. Except, only one person could manipulate or edit at a time, operating systems have developed two mice interfaces. If you are confident that the CPU and more importantly the RAM on the main computer can handle SMAART, LAKE, XTA and SC48 software all at once then a VNC client would be a great option. But right now, the AVID family of consoles can only be controlled by a dedicated computer connected directly into the console. You would have to patch the console you wanted to connect to, and restart the software every time you wanted to switch consoles.

But right now, the AVID family of consoles can only be controlled by a dedicated computer connected directly into the console. You would have to patch the console you wanted to connect to, and restart the software every time you wanted to switch consoles.

False. There is a VNC server that runs on an Avid console. You could either VNC in directly from the tablet, or open a VNC session for each console on your desktop and switch windows once you are connected through the tablet.

The shortest path is going to be the most responsive. I would run the Lake controller and VNC to the consoles direct from the laptop. Smaart you will need to VNC to the computer it is running on. I am unsure of how the XTA software operates, but I would guess you would need run that on the desktop and access it via VNC.

Another small note, if both computers are PC, I find using Remote Desktop yields better performance than VNC.

Sent from my ADR6400L