Wireless Pack Antenna Isolation

Sep 12, 2012
SW Ontario
Hey Guys,
We've got a production of Rocky Horror in the theatre this week, we have been tackling lots of sweat issues (Corsets don't really allow a lot of air movement) leading to wireless drop outs and interference. Most characters don't have enough clothes on to isolate the antenna from bare skin, s I am wondering if it would help to wrap the antenna in addition to wrapping the pack.

We are using Glad Press and Seal wrap on Sennheiser EW100 G3 packs.

Thanks everyone!

Re: Wireless Pack Antenna Isolation

You sure that the dropouts and interference are related to the sweat issues? Also, how and where are the packs mounted?

One standard approach to keeping transmitters sweat-free is to put them in an unlubricated condom, and mount them on the actor with the antenna and cable pointed down (this is upside down from the "normal" orientation). Note that this approach does preclude the use of the clip on the pack, so you'll need an external pouch for the transmitter.

You sure that the dropouts and interference are related to the sweat issues? Also, how and where are the packs mounted?

One standard approach to keeping transmitters sweat-free is to put them in an unlubricated condom, and mount them on the actor with the antenna and cable pointed down (this is upside down from the "normal" orientation). Note that this approach does preclude the use of the clip on the pack, so you'll need an external pouch for the transmitter.

The RF issues crop up later in the show, and never during soundcheck, sweat is the only thing I can think of. Placement is limited on most actors due to costume, Frank has his pack shoved in the back of his Corset, and Rocky's pack is shoved in his drawers.

Tonight we doubled wrapped all packs, problem channels I stuffed cotton around connection points, I also ran around with compressed air and cotton swabs during intermission to dry out the sweatiest cast members. That eliminated most of our microphone problems, tomorrow I am taking some E6 cables out of commission to hopefully solve the remaining issues.

Sent from my iPhone

I haven't personally done it, but I've heard of people putting shrink around the xmit antenna. Shrink it shut at one end then shrink it shut again down where it meets the pack. Doesn't need to be shrunk down the whole length, just enough to make it not come off. That'll keep the body contact from happening.

Air tubing for fish tanks is recommended - it's not so much keeping the antenna dry (something like a condom or a rubber glove should be used for that) as it is about keeping some non-conductive space between antenna and body.

Also check your antenna location. If most of the packs are going on people's backsides, but the antennas are at FOH, then you're costing yourself a lot of signal.