Would you buy this speaker?

Re: Would you buy this speaker? Maybe

title says it all..

It depends on what the intended use of the loudspeaker is. It may be perfecdtly suited for its intended usage. Or not.

Loudspeakers are used for a lot more things than just listening to music.

As usual-without more information it is impossible to say.

Also it could be a product without the needed processing applied.

Have you looked at the raw responses of products without processing? Not as pretty as you might think

Re: Would you buy this speaker? Maybe

Bennett: Nope
Jordan: Yes, it does!
Ivan: this is a speaker that IS intended for music and voice. it includes an 18" woofer and compression drivers
Ivan: The manufacturer does not specify any processor settings, nor do they mention that a processor is required.

Keep guessing! this is headed pretty much where I figured

Jason

Re: Would you buy this speaker?

Just 18" and compression driver(s)? Sounds like Cerwin Vega. If there's a 10" or 12" in the box I'd lean to early EAW w/o processing.

not home audio, and not cerwin or pyle.
it's a relatively unknown brand so I don't expect anyone to guess it, so maybe I'll throw a couple hints..
no piezos. it's actually an 18" woofer and 4 1" horns, in a 360deg. pre-made cluster configuration

Jason

not home audio, and not cerwin or pyle.
it's a relatively unknown brand so I don't expect anyone to guess it, so maybe I'll throw a couple hints..
no piezos. it's actually an 18" woofer and 4 1" horns, in a 360deg. pre-made cluster configuration

Jason

A single woofer with four 1" horns in a 360 degree cluster sounds like it might be just about perfect for hanging from the ceiling of a fitness center. Play a little music, make some annoucements, etc. If you have an instructor talking through a headset, less rumble with the lower output from the woofer based upon your picture plus plenty of vocal range for the students to hear the instructor well while they are panting away, riding the spinning bikes.

How close am I? I have no idea what the secret speaker is but I think I might consider it in the right application.

Sound Sphere?

Hammer

Ha, pretty close..
it's actually an Octasound SP860..

and yes Ryan, if we were only looking for vocal intelligibility there might be a place for a curve like that.. unfortunately in hockey arenas and gyms it's just not right..
the biggest problem is that they weren't always like that. the hump comes from them swapping out drivers for more and more efficient models over the years in the quest for 'better' sound. so replacing a 5 year old speaker with the exact same model needs retuning, and some of those systems didn't have a DSP because it sounded ok then.

Anyway, long story short is that after I brought this up, and pointed out that their cost vs performance ratio might not be very competitive, they discontinued our dealership!
so while I WAS biting my tongue and quietly trying to help them make their product better (or at least prevent them from making it worse) they've put me in a position where I really don't care to protect them anymore, and wanted to get a second opinion..

for the same money I can put together a cluster of 4 EAW VR21s and although it's a bit more assembly time the end result is much better.. and the angles are adjustable..

Jason

Ha, pretty close..

and yes Ryan, if we were only looking for vocal intelligibility there might be a place for a curve like that.. unfortunately in hockey arenas and gyms it's just not right..
the biggest problem is that they weren't always like that. the hump comes from them swapping out drivers for more and more efficient models over the years in the quest for 'better' sound. so replacing a 5 year old speaker with the exact same model needs retuning, and some of those systems didn't have a DSP because it sounded ok then.

Anyway, long story short is that after I brought this up, and pointed out that their cost vs performance ratio might not be very competitive, they discontinued our dealership!
so while I WAS biting my tongue and quietly trying to help them make their product better (or at least prevent them from making it worse) they've put me in a position where I really don't care to protect them anymore, and wanted to get a second opinion..

for the same money I can put together a cluster of 4 EAW VR21s and although it's a bit more assembly time the end result is much better.. and the angles are adjustable..

Jason

Even better, four Danley SH69 sideways or six SH60 in a tight pack cluster under the scoreboard, maybe one more downfiring onto the ice in the center. Sure wish the Chicago Stadium would get the hint.

Best regards,

John

Looks the game is over, but I would want to see what the phase response is for the box. We can fix the eq with one parametric point, but the question is what is going to happen to the phase response. A JBL 2450 has a similar curve to it, albeit not as drastic. Are measuring several boxes at once within v7 or are you just using multiple mics on the same source? Love Smaart play, it makes me tick!

I dug out this old image... it's a JBL 2450 with a before/after eq.

EQ applied
2.29kHz / -9dB /Q .950
3.03kHz / -2.5dB / Q=.30
4.92kHz / -3dB / Q=.30.
12am%202450%20raw%20vs%20eq.jpg

Ha, pretty close..

for the same money I can put together a cluster of 4 EAW VR21s and although it's a bit more assembly time the end result is much better.. and the angles are adjustable.
Seemingly very applicable to your situation, some years ago I designed a system for a small black box type theatre in a school based on some compact EAW boxes with a flown box covering each seating section. The theatre was a thrust stage with stadium seating around three sides and a small recessd area on the fourth side. The school came back and directed me to redesign the system using a single 360 degree Octasound speaker because that is what their Contractor was installing in the Gym. I tried to explain the differences and why that would not work but they insisted. We finally told then that they had our design and they could use it or not, but we were not going to put our name on something that we knew would not work. I have no idea what they did or how anything turned out and since they didn't seem to care, neither do I.

Looks the game is over, but I would want to see what the phase response is for the box. We can fix the eq with one parametric point, but the question is what is going to happen to the phase response. A JBL 2450 has a similar curve to it, albeit not as drastic. Are measuring several boxes at once within v7 or are you just using multiple mics on the same source? Love Smaart play, it makes me tick!

I wish I had good phase measurements.. at the time I took this it was to show them what I was hearing and to see if they felt that this curve represented a good sound, or if they came back with 'holy crap, maybe we need to make some adjustments'.. alas, their opinion was the former.

That measurement is 3 simultaneous mics spaced relatively randomly around one side of the 360deg cluster, in a hockey arena with no seating, so just a box with boards and glass (mics on the ice)

Jason