Yamaha 01v96 issue (white noise w audio)

Hey guys, I plugged in our band 01v into a house rig lastnight, and I was getting a white noise along with the audio last night in the pa. I did all the usual trouble shooting , checking the house console channels etc, it's defineatly the left output out of the 01v. Anybody have any suggestions as to what it might be? I have presets for each bar that we play, so I reloaded the last time we were at the club, no issues at that time. It sounds like when you crank a preamp, without anything coming out , that " board hiss" , but there is audio passing with that noise, if we play anything, it's not just "dead". to limp through, I panned everything straight up and only used the right output.... Any thoughts? It's not open channels either, I muted all the channels (on both layers) and the noise still came from left, muted all effects returns as well.... There is a 4 ch xlr card in the back to make it full 16 ch input.

Re: Yamaha 01v96 issue (white noise w audio)

Will the 01V let you patch your main outs to a different set of outputs? This would rule out it being the left side of the mix rather than the left output. Was there any noise on an AFL of the LR mix?

Chris

In the heat of things ( and the house music was up), I tried to listen to l,r, but I tried it in the house console.... I could hear left side being the culprit. I tried listening directly in the 01v, but couldn't hear anything, but I'm not 100% certain I was hearing afl.

Will the 01V let you patch your main outs to a different set of outputs? This would rule out it being the left side of the mix rather than the left output. Was there any noise on an AFL of the LR mix?

Chris

Yes. The PATCH menu will let you assign Left or Right to any of the OMNI OUTS and/or expansion card outputs.

Hey guys, I plugged in our band 01v into a house rig lastnight, and I was getting a white noise along with the audio last night in the pa. I did all the usual trouble shooting(...)I muted all the channels (on both layers) and the noise still came from left, muted all effects returns as well.... There is a 4 ch xlr card in the back to make it full 16 ch input.
I had this happen once with my 01v96. Long story short, phantom power was turned on for the input I was plugged into and apparently my board did not like it. Same symptoms, could not isolate it to any of my channels.

I fixed it by putting a Sescom IL-19 between my board and the house rig.

I had this happen once with my 01v96. Long story short, phantom power was turned on for the input I was plugged into and apparently my board did not like it. Same symptoms, could not isolate it to any of my channels.

I fixed it by putting a Sescom IL-19 between my board and the house rig.

Ah crap, I never even thought of that and it makes sense, L, ch1. Kick ch, if it needed phantom...

What would be the fix if it did take a phantom hit?

Mac, could you give an example of better?
Thanks.

Good line level transformers won't fit in an XLR barrel. The small transformers found in barrels, like the IL-19 will saturate with line level audio that has low frequency information. They are intended for low level audio. A couple of alternatives are:

Jensen Iso Maxx

Radial Twin Iso

Whirlwind Iso2

There is no doubt that Jensen has the reputation for having the highest quality transformers.

Mac

What would be the fix if it did take a phantom hit?
I had no damage, the board didn't have any lasting issues. Once I isolated it, the problem was gone and has not reoccurred. And it's been out dozens of times since then. I seem to remember a thread about outputs on different boards reacting to phantom power and the Yamahas seemed to fare well when it occurred; if noisily.

Have you checked the output again since you left the club last night, say, with a powered speaker or some other output device in your control?

I had no damage, the board didn't have any lasting issues. Once I isolated it, the problem was gone and has not reoccurred. And it's been out dozens of times since then. I seem to remember a thread about outputs on different boards reacting to phantom power and the Yamahas seemed to fare well when it occurred; if noisily.

Have you checked the output again since you left the club last night, say, with a powered speaker or some other output device in your control?

I haven't checked the output , but I will this week... Fwiw I used a trs to xlr on the monitor out and it was clean, so i can at least use the board until I have an opportunity to get it looked at.
Thanks for the guidance.