Yamaha CL5 patching Dante to nuendo

Jon Hoffmann

Freshman
Aug 2, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Apologies if this has been answered somewhere but I can't seem to find the info I am after. I want to patch the local inputs from the console to Nuendo to record. Is this possible? Thanks!

Jon

Re: Yamaha CL5 patching Dante to nuendo

No Mac, he is asking if he can patch one of the local inputs to Nuendo Not a Rio input. Nuendo uses Dante Virtual Soundcard as an input so you would need port to port to get the local input out onto a Dante channel to be picked up.

Edit: Or you could patch the local inputs you need into channels and use direct outs or inserts to output to Dante and the use Dante Controller to patch those to Nuendo.

Last edited:

No Mac, he is asking if he can patch one of the local inputs to Nuendo Not a Rio input. Nuendo uses Dante Virtual Soundcard as an input so you would need port to port to get the local input out onto a Dante channel to be picked up.

Edit: Or you could patch the local inputs you need into channels and use direct outs or inserts to output to Dante and the use Dante Controller to patch those to Nuendo.

OK, then use pre everything direct outs.

Mac

Of course with a CL5 he has 64 usable channels so it is not a big deal.

With a CL-5 he has 88 usable channels, 72 mono plus 8 stereo. He has 64 Dante ports and 8 analog ports in and out with only the console, all 88 can be Dante with the addition of a single Dante card.

Mac

Yeah but he wants to use the local ports (analog) so he only has the 8 in. If he could input to the RIO he could go straight to Nuendo and the above issues would all be mute.

Yeah but he wants to use the local ports (analog) so he only has the 8 in. If he could input to the RIO he could go straight to Nuendo and the above issues would all be mute.

What's your point? My point was that he probably has lots of spare channels if the stuff going to Nuendo is not going through a console channel anyway.

Mac

His original question was "I want to patch the local inputs from the console to Nuendo to record", all the other channels and Dante do not matter. He only has 8 inputs, with port to port he could do it directly but without it he will need 8 channels. I think we are on the same page I was just trying to say it would be easier with port to port or if he could input directly to a Rio.

Ok ok ok... Sorry here's some more info - I have a RIO3224 d that I have patched to Nuendo Live just fine - trouble is that my wireless rack lives with me at FOH so I use the local 8 IO for those hence the reason to patch those as well. Mac are you suggesting if I patch the local 8 to the desk channels 56-64 direct out then I would see them on the cl5 Dante out in Dante controller?

Sent from my iPhone

If you patch those channels direct out to unused Dante output channels, you can then use Dante Controller to patch those to Nuendo just like you patched the Rio's to Nuendo.

Ok ok ok... Sorry here's some more info - I have a RIO3224 d that I have patched to Nuendo Live just fine - trouble is that my wireless rack lives with me at FOH so I use the local 8 IO for those hence the reason to patch those as well. Mac are you suggesting if I patch the local 8 to the desk channels 56-64 direct out then I would see them on the cl5 Dante out in Dante controller?

You don't need to use channels 56-64 (although you can) if you are using the RF mics somewhere else in the console. You just need to have them in a channel that you can get the DO from. Dante is not limited to 64 channels, each Dante port on a Yamaha console is limited to 64 channels. Channel 10 from the console is a different Dante source than channel 10 from the Rio. Whatever channels you use the RF mics in can be the source for Nuendo, just patch it with Dante Controller.

Mac

just patching the channel in NUENDO does not work - I had to use the DO function and send each of the 8 Omni channels out over Direct Outs configured to use the CL5 Dante Output to the PC. Don't know why I didn't see it earlier but for some reason I had the damndest time finding the DO option!!! Thanks all for your help nudging me in the right direction.

just patching the channel in NUENDO does not work - I had to use the DO function and send each of the 8 Omni channels out over Direct Outs configured to use the CL5 Dante Output to the PC. Don't know why I didn't see it earlier but for some reason I had the damndest time finding the DO option!!! Thanks all for your help nudging me in the right direction.

I was on board until this post lost me. What is a DO function? Can you explain this? Pictures? I have not seen a DO function on CL or QL.