Yamaha DXR12 vs. Yorkville NX55P

BJ James

Junior
Jan 11, 2011
Totally subjective and unscientific:
Yamaha's new powered box is cheaper, slightly lighter and smaller than Yorkvilles offering. I have a large quantity of the Yorkville boxes I use for dry hires and often as monitors. Great utility box, but I never really took a shine to it as a wedge. I did have QSC HPR's before that and really liked the sound quality but not so much the price or the weight. We are dealers for all 3 brands. After selling off some of my Yorkville boxes I though I would try the new Yamaha box so I ordered a pair in this week. A pair of NX55P are getting prepped for a rental so I though I would grab a couple mic cables and do a quick A-B of the 2 boxes with a good ole '58. I started with the DXR, cranked to an uncomfortably loud level with just a hint of 800-1K getting away. Switched cables to the Yorkville box, kept cranking it up to get it close to the same volume. In comparison it sounds dull and there are more stray frequencies getting away. That same 800-1000 plus somewhere around 3K as well as around 8K, yet it still has a slightly dull sound. Keep in mind I was connecting the mic directly to the box, no mixer no EQ, just each box set to accept a mic level input. Perhaps some EQing will tell a different story. I'll try again when I have some gear handy to hook up, but in the meantime I'm looking forward to trying these new DXR's on wedge duty.

Just though I would post after seeing the KW vs K thread. I'd like to compare these boxes to each of those eventually.

Cheers,
BJ