Yamaha QL Discussion

David Nickerson

Sophomore
Jan 10, 2011
Boston
www.baystatesound.com
I took delivery of my QL1 about 2 weeks ago. I'm very excited to put it to use soon, but waiting on case from my case maker (ATS Cases is a great local shop in Northboro, MA). I ordered a pair of RIO 1608s and a Dante card yesterday (to bring new life -digital snaking- to my LS9s). Will likely get a pair of SKB X-cases for the RIO Boxes (mirroring Jason Raboin SL boxes).

I've been plinking away at learning the ins and outs of my QL on the bench at the shop, really enjoying the learning experience while scrambling through the shop between jobs.

Hoping to open a forum for QL users to share their experiences and insight.

Re: Yamaha QL Discussion

I took delivery of my QL1 about 2 weeks ago. I'm very excited to put it to use soon, but waiting on case from my case maker (ATS Cases is a great local shop in Northboro, MA). I ordered a pair of RIO 1608s and a Dante card yesterday (to bring new life -digital snaking- to my LS9s). Will likely get a pair of SKB X-cases for the RIO Boxes (mirroring Jason Raboin SL boxes).

I've been plinking away at learning the ins and outs of my QL on the bench at the shop, really enjoying the learning experience while scrambling through the shop between jobs.

I'm glad to see that these are shipping. My vendor only does the Yamaha MI line. Can anyone recommend a vendor and an anticipated street price?

JP

Nice setup David!

I am considering the QL1. We do some small rental systems, some light band stuff, but mostly speaking events. We mostly do design-build.

What style of case did you get? I would need something low profile and light.

I like the custom layers, but have made an iPad stand to setup next to a mixer on table top to spill out the DCA controls or maybe the left inputs. This is a low cost(already have) way to get 8 more faders. I thought if it was similar height it would be easier to use in workflow. The iPad can pop in/out if needed for remote use.

Adding a MY8-AD gets some 1/4" playback analog inputs as well.

YAMAHA if you are listening- I would really like the iPad app to have better graphic labels on the fader levels, -10, -5, 0, +5 etc, instead of just a line. It is really hard to tell at a glance where you are at. You have to move the fader for the pop up to tell you the level...

Attachments

• ipad stand.jpg
    ipad stand.jpg
    613.4 KB · Views: 0

We have gotten a couple of the Ql1 consoles. I have to say that I like them. They are small and quick to setup/use. I think the best addition to the line was the Built in Dugan Automixer that is in the FX racks. For most of our rentals this is a great money saver and it allows the techs running the show to use a familiar console with an good automixer.

For monitors nothing is going to replace the 24 individual sends that the PM5D had for creating mixes on a per channel basis - a really tedious process with a single send pot on the QL console and only a little better on the CL console with 16 of the 24 sends available per send layer. Yamaha could make a major advance on this really quickly by creating a channel sends page on the iPad app much like the similar function on the Behringer app. Not sure why Yamaha has let this cheap but valuable fix slide. Probably something that was handed to the guy that was supposed to create the printable copy of the patch list on the editor app. Sends on faders is only one of the two important ways that monitors get mixed.

I just finished a tour using a QL5 on monitors. It's a great step up from the LS9 and even the M7CL, but I would be much happier on the CL5 (more controls).

Going from a PM5D, there's some little annoyances, but overall it works fine.