01v96 fader issue

Folks,

My trusty 01v96 has three faders that are not working correctly, two will go up but not down, one will go down but not up. Last night I replaced all three faders which unfortunately did not change the behavior. So it would appear I have an issue in the fader drive circuitry.

Does anyone have any tips or experience with such a problem or should I just take the mixer to the repair shop?

Ciao
Simon

Re: 01v96 fader issue

Folks,

My trusty 01v96 has three faders that are not working correctly, two will go up but not down, one will go down but not up. Last night I replaced all three faders which unfortunately did not change the behavior. So it would appear I have an issue in the fader drive circuitry.

Does anyone have any tips or experience with such a problem or should I just take the mixer to the repair shop?

Ciao
Simon

Hey Simon,
The 01V96 has a fader calibration option somewhere in the menu I think. Have you tried resetting the console and then doing a calibration?

Hi Gents,

Last night I started the fader calibration, but after 4 hours, gave up. 14 faders marched up and down. Two faders remained stuck at the bottom. Another one wandered to the top and stayed there. I was expecting some form of error message after a while, but all the mixer said was something about fader calibration, don't touch.

This seems to confirm what I originally thought, that I have a problem in the fader drive circuitry.

Any other ideas?

Ciao
Simon

Hey Don,

Thanks for the tip. I posted a message on the Yahoo 01v96 board and got a response indicating that I need to replace the 4 SMD transistors in the fader drive circuitry. 4 for each fader. Not sure if I'll do it myself or take the board to a local electronics shop.

Update to follow.
Ciao
Simon

Gents,

Success!! Per advice I received on the above linked Yahoo message board, I replaced the 4 transistors that activate the fader motors and everything is working again. In my case I actually only needed to replace 2 of the 4 transistors, but couldn't figure out which pair drives the fader up, and which pair drives it down so I replaced all four.

In order to replace the transistors, the fader board needs to be removed and positioned fader side down. The 4 SMD transistors are on the component side (ie, the non-fader side) of the board, at the lower edge. They are layed out in blocks of 4, one block per fader. Fader #1's block of 4 will be on the far right, then stepping to the left, Channel 2, then 3 and so forth with the master fader at the far left.

For each block of 4 transistors, there are 2 2SD1733 and 2 2SB1181 SMD transistors. Channel #6, for example, has TR353 (2SD1733), TR354 (2SB1181), TR355 (2SD1733) and TR356 (2SB1181). For the other channel numbers, the TR# is plus or minus 100 if I remember right. The replacement parts are available at Digikey.

Be very careful replacing the transistors as its easy to lift a trace on the PCB. Once the transistors have been replaced, reassemble everything and run the fader calibration and location routines.

Ciao
Simon

Hi Simon, I have the same problem with my yamaha 01v96v2. A local repair shop repaired some faders some years ago, but was so expensive compared if i do it by myself. Now i have another ones with the same issues and i have checked digikey web but i dont know exactly wich transistor i have to order. So, there are so many models for 2SD1173 and 2SB1181. Wich ones has you ordered? TLQ? TLR? TLP?

Thank you for your cooperation

Hi Guys,

I think I have the same fader problem with my DM2000...as far as I know they use the same faders/circuitry. I would like to attempt to replace these 4 transistors Simon on a fader to see if this resolves the problem too and concur with Maikel_Green...Can't locate exact part number for the transistors you used.

Thanks
Tim