01v96v2 to VCM??

Re: 01v96v2 to VCM??

VCM is software. Basically, the console is the same except that it now includes the plugins that were sold separately for the V2. Since the software is not cheap, it is cheaper to sell the V2 and buy the new VCM model than to do the upgrade, but the end result should be the same. At least that what it looks like to me.......

But if i found a good deal on a used V2 it can be upgraded to VCM? or would it still be expensive? I dont see anywhere on yamaha's site about this, except for the latest firmware dowloads of VCM and V2... can you not download the VCM firmware to a V2 board?

My understanding is that doesn't work. The separate Yamaha packages are $400-500 each and would have to be purchased and installed to the V2 to make it comparable to the VCM model. The upgrade could be over $1000 if done that way.

VCM is a firmware upgrade that includes the new FX. It is available as a dealer-supported upgrade that runs around $400, IIRC, but that could be very wrong.

Contact a major Yamaha dealer for more info.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Tim, when I searched the info out before, Yamaha was offering the upgrade to dealers that had inventory and to units that were sold within some small timeframe before the switchover. I was told that since my console was several years old a dealer would NOT be authorized to make that upgrade for me.

http://www.yamahacommercialaudio.com/ca/uk/10_news/40_product/archive/2008_03/11_DM0VCM/index.html

http://mixonline.com/mixline_live/yamaha_boards_vcm/

If these facts are no longer correct and an upgrade path cheaper than buying the VCM software was available I would buy it, but I have not seen anything to make me think the policy has changed.....

ADD: In fact I have been looking for the Rev-X and channel strip packages either used or on sale and they don't seem to ever surface. I did manage to miss a sale by Sound Productions over Christmas that would have given me the packages for about $400 total and was too late to buy them. If anyone here has these packages and wants to sell them for a fair price I am your guy. Let me know.....

Well my closest Yamaha dealer is over an hour drive. Several stores are closer so I haven't bought anything from them in 20 years. The board was bought used off the LAB. So.......probably won't happen unless someone on here wants to be generous with a copy, sell me a copy for something notably less than list, or someone here has the plugins and doesn't need/want them any more. I do appreciate the thought however.

I know, which is why I said I would buy packages used if anyone wanted to sell. I could see maybe $4-500 at most for both, but can't justify $800. For a little more than that I could buy another 01v96 and link them which would give me more benefit than the VCM upgrade alone.

Actually, eBay had an 01v96VCM for $1400(ish) as a buy it now just a few weeks ago.