2-channel Rackmount Recorder

Pascal.Pincosy

Freshman
Jan 11, 2011
Oakland, CA
www.knowaudio.com
I have need of a fool-proof recording system that's capable of recording 2 channels of .WAV for up to 16 hours straight. Preferably something that will fit in a rack. Right now I have the Tascam SS-R200 but it won't record .WAV for more than an hour or so, and if the power goes out or some numbskull forgets to press stop before shutting down the system, the entire recording is gone. I need a bulletproof solution. Cost is not an issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

Re: 2-channel Rackmount Recorder

I use a Sound Devices 702T, which is the same as what Andrew linked except mine records to CF cards plus FireWire, instead of an internal hard disk. They work flawlessly, and have some great features - automatic pre-record which actually records a couple seconds of audio before you push the record button, no goofing around with a "record ready" mode where you have to push multiple buttons to get it recording, and tons of compatibility - line/mic XLR, AES, Sp/Dif. The audio path is excellent, and they have a battery so loss of house power isn't an issue. Great metering, etc. Did I mention that I like mine? :)

Tascam and Marantz make other rack mount CF decks that are OK, but if cost isn't an issue, the Sound Devices is the best in the business.