2009 Big Valley Stage collapse leads to charges

Re: 2009 Big Valley Stage collapse leads to charges

I don't know much about the Canadian legal system, but I have to wonder about the choice to bring criminal charges under laber laws, as opposed to a civil suit under tort law.

I don't know much about the Canadian legal system, but I have to wonder about the choice to bring criminal charges under laber laws, as opposed to a civil suit under tort law.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds, certainly the folks involved in the recent Ottawa Bluesfest collapse will be watching with keen interest.

If the family of the victims wishes to sue, they can do that as well. It's not really one or the other. If the suppliers are convicted, that will just help in the civil suit.
Most people don't realize that in Canada, the damages in a wrongful death lawsuit are limited to actual damages, meaning the amount the family is or will be out of pocket due to the loss of that person. Punitive and "Pain and Suffering" damages awarded to families are rare.

Last edited: