-20dB Tools

Samuel Molloy

May 2, 2019
United States
I’m trying to find a product that outputs -20dB tone via either 1/4 jack or XLR to set a level on a mixing board. Unfortunately, the board I am using does not have this function built in.

Any links to products or suggestions for the correct terminology to use would be much appreciated.

Thanks

You are looking for a "tone generator", there are dozens available for free on line. Download one to anything that has audio playback, use adapters from the device to either 1/4 jack or XLR.

This calculator may help figure the differences between dBu, dBV or volts- all of which may be a different level than a dBFS signal..

Your phone can be that and more. Plenty of options for iPhones and Android

Reactions: Jordan Wolf
I use this little gizmofrom GTC. Along with my Qbox, it’s a great problem-solver.

It outputs around -50dBu, though, so you’d need a preamp to get your higher level...which reminds me:

What is the reasoning behind your request? If it’s for level-setting, any source that is PFLd and set to meter zero (+4dBu/-18dBFS-ish) will ensure the next piece of gear is receiving adequate signal level.

Is that your intent?

I use this little gizmofrom GTC. Along with my Qbox, it’s a great problem-solver.

It outputs around -50dBu, though, so you’d need a preamp to get your higher level...which reminds me:

What is the reasoning behind your request? If it’s for level-setting, any source that is PFLd and set to meter zero (+4dBu/-18dBFS-ish) will ensure the next piece of gear is receiving adequate signal level.

Is that your intent?

My question as well. If the OP is seeking a repeatable voltage output, I have to ask at what frequency and impedance.

A phone app would seem to suffer from the issue of user operation of the volume control. How would the app know how "hot" a given output actually is?

A couple of phones ago I had the Faber Acoustic tone generator 'calibrated' to deliver -18dbv into a generic high impedance line level input by running the iphones' hardware volume all the way up and then entering an output level on the app numerically, something like 95.6% level. I checked that a few times over the course of a few weeks after I had set it up and it seemed fairly solid. Never bothered to try it with my last couple of phones and not something I'd run past NIST but it was easier than trotting out a bench oscillator and audio volt meter.

Reactions: Tim McCulloch