5.1 Digital Decoder with either xlr or 1/4" outs

Re: 5.1 Digital Decoder with either xlr or 1/4" outs

1/8" but I'm worried about signal quality and want to throw it through a mixer first.s

I'll be interested to know what you find. As I've wanted to fix up my home theater situation for some time.

But, a single ended connection should not be much of a problem with short cable lengths in a controlled environment. They are not, according to the link you provided, 1/8" connectors but RCA. These should provide okay shielding for most short run applications if the correct coaxial cabling and connectors are used.

anyone know of a product that does that? I've found a device that will give me 1/8" but I'm worried about signal quality and want to throw it through a mixer first.

Heres the product we've found (which would require DI boxes)
Amazon.com: Sewell Direct SW-29767 Digital to Analog Audio Converter: Electronics

You'll pay a lot more money. Just use something like you've listed with an 8 in 8 out Rane Balance Buddy or similar. If you can't find one I could probably part with one I have for $100 or so. I might consider trying to find a used 'pro' surround preamp - you'll likely pay about the same and maybe get something better (Creston, etc). I know my Yamaha receiver has a straight through mode as well - there may be other options.

Last edited:

Extron SSP7.1
It's got phoenix-clip bare-wire type outputs but it is balanced. (they offer pre-made XLR pigtails if you need)

Extron DSP - SSP 7.1

Also bought a blu-ray player a while back that had discrete RCA analog 7.1 outputs in addition to the standard L&R and digital outputs. Probably your cheapest method if your sourcing from disc.