50a RV power hookup

Ben Lawrence

Senior
Mar 2, 2011
Vermont
vtaudiovisual.com
I have a possible job coming up where they have a 50a RV style power connection around 100' away from the stage location. The audio spec is 4 double 18s 4 tops monitors and an led light rig. Im trying to get a better idea of what might be a good solution for power distro. I do have an electrician in my circle so am planning on reaching out to him but am wondering if anyone might have any insight on this. Rent a spider box rent a racked power distro? I do take out a honda EU7000 occasionally so purchasing a 30a distro might be a nice thing to have. Just thinking out loud.
I know we typically dont get into power stuff too heavy on here due to liability but if anyone wants to chime in with some food for thought would be appreciated.
Something like this seems like an economical solution maybe? Or am I headed down the wrong path?

Last edited:
If your rig is set up around running from wall power, a spider box or the Lex equivalent is going to be your best option. Readily available for rent (with the feed cable) if you'd prefer to go that route, or available for purchase with an NRTL listing on the box. Only drawback is that you'll be running everything off of GFCIs which may present some issues with certain equipment that has excessive leakage current (OTOH, it does reduce the amount of electrical hazard on the stage significantly).

For use with the generator, building an L14-30P to 50A California receptacle adapter is straightforward and converts in the safe direction (i.e. the direction that uses lower rated connectors and cabling than the OCPD).

Reactions: Ben Lawrence
If this is a one off I'd rent the gear needed. Determine what the onsite outlet connector type is and see if Sunbelt or your local flavor of industrial equipment rental house has available.

Reactions: Ben Lawrence