50Amp Range plug options

Cevin Reed

Freshman
Jan 25, 2011
Minneapolis
Tired of the cheap lines that Home Depot/Menards carries, but not willing to spend $100 on a Hubbel plug. Are there any other cost-effective options that have a good wire attachment system? Any issues with trying to solder the wires in the blade after screwing it in? The screws always seem to break, strip, or come loose.

Re: 50Amp Range plug options

I use the molded-on-cord variety. Chop off the grommet that mechanically attaches to the stove, strip back the insulation a bit,and solder it onto the feeder. Stagger the connections, of course. Some heat shrink, and judicious use of gaff and you're good to go. I have 1 that is over 15 years old, and all I do is redo the gaff every 5 or 6 years.
Chris.

Soldering violates Code for a couple of different reasons.

I suggest using torque paint on the screw once tightened down *the second time*.

As for the general quality of plug, remember that for the most part, these connectors aren't designed for repeated mating or transportation. You may well have to subject the connector to routine inspection and maintenance, or spend $100. So, another SM57 or keeping the power on (or not starting a fire)?

I'm not suggesting the Hubbel is superior (it might not be), but that in this instance a program of continuous inspection is justified until you find that other parts work better or that your inspection interval can be modified.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

"AFAIK soldering is frowned upon in the electrical supply world."

I guess I should have mentionned that I crimped on ferrules, then soldered each connection ?? I am not so worried about the solder joint, as it is backup to the mechanical connection.
(It was over 15 yers ago that I made the cables up......)

Tired of the cheap lines that Home Depot/Menards carries, but not willing to spend $100 on a Hubbel plug. Are there any other cost-effective options that have a good wire attachment system? Any issues with trying to solder the wires in the blade after screwing it in? The screws always seem to break, strip, or come loose.

Cooper 5745N is what I have I think. There's a guy on ebay with a handful for $39.00 plus shipping.

I think the Hubbell one is nicer, but this is a step up from the molded supply cord I was using before.

FW494734.jpg

Last edited:

I will second all the advice that Tim has given. When you're messing with high voltage, don't worry about saving a few dollarss on cheap connectors that are made to stay plugged in at home on the range.(pun intended).

I will second all the advice that Tim has given. When you're messing with high voltage, don't worry about saving a few dollarss on cheap connectors that are made to stay plugged in at home on the range.(pun intended).

We're trying to restore the "Home on the Range". http://www.kansas.com/2011/04/25/1821513/concert-will-raise-funds-for-home.html#storylink=misearch

Our shop has nothing to do with any of the events, but many of the organizers and performers are friends. Nothing "shocking" there (pun intended ;) )

Hi Cevin, I have had three of those connectors have issues. Like Tim McCulloch says, spend a few bucks more on the better connectors.

Thanks, Don

Don, you had problems with the Hubbell connector? Apart from routine retightening (which is good to to regardless) I've experienced very few problems with the good quality connectors by Hubbell and others. Well made and properly sized screwdrivers also make a more pleasant assembly process.

Hi Marlow, the connector that Cevin linked to, the blades ( X and Y ) loosen up after a couple years of use. I have an old ceramic connector from the early 80's that still performs flawlessly.

I now have a couple of the connectors that you linked to, very good performers, seems they will hold up ( over 2 years now, no problems ).

Thanks, Don

I have found StayOnLine to be an excellent source for electrical connectors and parts.
I've found the US online pricing makes it increasingly difficult to stomach buying stuff locally at full price - the difference is staggering sometimes. Strategic buying of L14-30's let me get about 30 for what 6 would have cost locally! Same goes for quality Edison ends. These have become my go-to connector, they work well on 10/3 Soow and up and the price is right:

http://www.stagelightingstore.com/Hubbell-5266EBK-All-Black-Male?sc=25&category=48705
http://www.stagelightingstore.com/Hubbell-All-Black-Female-Hubbell-HBL5269EBK?sc=25&category=48705

I've found the US online pricing makes it increasingly difficult to stomach buying stuff locally at full price - the difference is staggering sometimes. Strategic buying of L14-30's let me get about 30 for what 6 would have cost locally! Same goes for quality Edison ends. These have become my go-to connector, they work well on 10/3 Soow and up and the price is right:

http://www.stagelightingstore.com/Hubbell-5266EBK-All-Black-Male?sc=25&category=48705
http://www.stagelightingstore.com/Hubbell-All-Black-Female-Hubbell-HBL5269EBK?sc=25&category=48705

Marlow, if you're set up with SFM in Quebec they sell Marinco connectors similar to the ones you link to...and similar price.
Cheers.