A frustrating thing about new consoles from Yamaha

Re: A frustrating thing about new consoles from Yamaha

Mmmm....no. The Yamaha uses the light on to signal a function that is engaged or active. 5D and 1D also: light on=channel on. (with the exception of the DCA master faders (which really also indicates a function that is engaged, as muting channels via DCA is a positive action)).

I stand corrected. When using an M7 after lots of time with 5D I confuse the Centralogic "On"s with 5D "Mute"s..Bitten me (bitten myself?) more than once, my bad.

Andrew, I look at this from the other end of the scale. One of the reasons I love using Yamaha consoles is because the smaller consoles have many of the same features as the large ones, plus a few extra goodies. Just got to play with our new QL1 today in preparation of my first show with it on Sunday, and it seems that everything is where I expect it to be, all in logical "Yamaha locations".

My point is that across several product lines (M7, LS9, CL, QL) I find that I'm equally at home on any of them, as long as the I/O count fits the gig. The consoles come configured out of the box ready to pass audio through them, which I consider a big plus compared to other mixers that have completely flexible architectures. In this case I really don't mind that the console dictates my workflow because it suits the way I like to work.

Matt

One of the reasons I love using Yamaha consoles is because the smaller consoles have many of the same features as the large ones, plus a few extra goodies.
I have no idea why this would be a plus. Why not have the "goodies" on the higher end consoles too? How is having different and exclusive feature sets for each console line so that no matter what, you will never get all the "goodies" in one package be a good thing? Your comment makes no sense.

I have no idea why this would be a plus. Why not have the "goodies" on the higher end consoles too? How is having different and exclusive feature sets for each console line so that no matter what, you will never get all the "goodies" in one package be a good thing? Your comment makes no sense.

The advantage is the price point. If you prefer the features of the less expensive console why wouldn't you buy it?

I saved paying for a ~$10000 touch screen and a centralogic fader bank when I realized that was the only MAJOR difference (to me) between the LS9-32 and M7-32. For the market I needed it to service the LS9 worked at that time and was the right console at the right price. As was the M7 upon it's release, and having both available didn't seem to impact the use of one or the other too much. Those that needed to have a touch screen, 8 more mixes in the form of matrix sends available from the channels, DCAs, and a few other things would shell out to rent the more expensive console.

I must be over the frustration... I pick the console that's appropriate to the show and move on.

Matt.

The advantage is the price point. If you prefer the features of the less expensive console why wouldn't you buy it?
You've missed the point of the thread. You give up features no matter which way you move, cheaper or more expensive. There is no Yamaha console that has all the available features, cheap or expensive. Cost is of little importance to me.