A&H ICE-16D Digital Recorder - hard drive choices...

Stuart Miller

Freshman
Aug 17, 2013
Hello,

I have purchased an A&H ICE-16D recorder. I also purchased a Glyph 1TB USB 2.0 hard drive, thinking the A&H would work with it. Unfortunately the Glyph drive is not recognized by the ICE-16D recorder and the recorder won't format the Glyph drive.

I searched online for the three A&H recommended drives and they all appear to be old technology already. At least I haven't been able to find any for sale from my usual sources.

Does anyone have this A&H recorder and if so can you recommend a hard drive (that is still available) that you are using that the recorder recognizes and will format?

Thank you.

Stu

Re: A&H ICE-16D Digital Recorder - hard drive choices...

Hello,

I have purchased an A&H ICE-16D recorder. I also purchased a Glyph 1TB USB 2.0 hard drive, thinking the A&H would work with it. Unfortunately the Glyph drive is not recognized by the ICE-16D recorder and the recorder won't format the Glyph drive.

Have you tired plugging in a flash drive or any other storage device to see if it will recognize that? If it will, at least that tells you that it is the Glyph that's the issue.

Stupid question, but does the Glyph drive require an external power supply? Is that plugged in? :D~:-D~:grin:

Chris

Have you tired plugging in a flash drive or any other storage device to see if it will recognize that? If it will, at least that tells you that it is the Glyph that's the issue.

Stupid question, but does the Glyph drive require an external power supply? Is that plugged in? :D~:-D~:grin:

Chris

Chris,

Yes, the Glyph drive was plugged in. USB flash drives work ok. I also tested a Toshiba 500GB hard drive I borrowed from work, and it worked just fine, so can buy one of those models if nothing else is suggested. The Glyph drive works just fine with my PC, just not with the ICE-16D.

I should probably clarify that the ICE-16D appears to recognize the Glyph drive - in the sense that it sees something. It then runs its test routine and determines that the drive needs to be formatted; but when I try to format the drive the ICE-16D begins the testing process again; recognizes the drive, indicates it needs to be formatted, and waits for me to start the formatting process. So it seems to be stuck in an endless loop at the formatting stage.

Also, I just noticed I put something in my first post that might be misleading. The Glyph drive is a USB 3.0 drive, not USB 2.0 as I initially stated. However, I'm told that a USB 2.0 cable is ok to use with the drive since it's backward-compatible with USB 2.0 (and the ICE-16D only has a USB 2.0 connection)

Stu

Last edited:

Chris,

Yes, the Glyph drive was plugged in. USB flash drives work ok. I also tested a Toshiba 500GB hard drive I borrowed from work, and it worked just fine, so can buy one of those models if nothing else is suggested. The Glyph drive works just fine with my PC, just not with the ICE-16D.

I should probably clarify that the ICE-16D appears to recognize the Glyph drive - in the sense that it sees something. It then runs its test routine and determines that the drive needs to be formatted; but when I try to format the drive the ICE-16D begins the testing process again; recognizes the drive, indicates it needs to be formatted, and waits for me to start the formatting process. So it seems to be stuck in an endless loop at the formatting stage.

Also, I just noticed I put something in my first post that might be misleading. The Glyph drive is a USB 3.0 drive, not USB 2.0 as I initially stated. However, I'm told that a USB 2.0 cable is ok to use with the drive since it's backward-compatible with USB 2.0 (and the ICE-16D only has a USB 2.0 connection)

Stu

How is the Glyph drive currently formatted?

Stu

It's supposed to be anyway...

I have a Tascam US600 USB 2.0 audio interface, and a Dell laptop with two USB 3.0 ports and one combo USB 2.0 / e-sata port. When the Tascam is plugged into a USB 3.0 port it will bluescreen 64 bit Windows 7 all day long. Plugged into the USB 2.0 port it's absolutely fine.

Chris

How is the Glyph drive currently formatted?

Rob,

The drive arrived formatted for a MAC PC.

I noticed that the USB sticks are formatted (by the ICE-16D) as FAT32 so, after I found that the ICE-16D wouldn't format the drive I formatted it on my PC as FAT32. But the drive is still not usable with the ICE-16D.

Glyph drives have a very good reputation with respect to music recorded digitally so I was surprised to see it not work. I wondered if it might be the 1TB size because the three drives that A&H have verified as being usable are all 500MB and smaller.

Stu