A&H QU info leaked a day early

Re: A&H QU info leaked a day early

I don't know what you guys are talking about but....

This board is missing output PEQ on the aux outputs and the main LR outputs. Is this something that could be changed with firmware later?

Good thing I so carefully set their press release to post at 8:00 a.m. BST as instructed... Oh well, glad it wasn't us that leaked it.

Don't feel bad, the fed leaked the minutes from their last meeting exactly one day early. Some poor government wonk, got the exact time right (2pm) but the day wrong. :)

JR

This board is missing output PEQ on the aux outputs and the main LR outputs. Is this something that could be changed with firmware later?
It COULD be changed later. WILL it? No one knows.

I have bought early on a number of products - 01v96, Korg Oasys, Kurzweil PC3X, A&H GLD, and I'm sure a few others that I'm forgetting. All of them eventually got additional features - many of which came straight off user wishlists. None of these products got everything that users wanted. In the case of the GLD, the two most (IMO) glaring missing features - lack of scene next/prev/go via user keys and no IPad app - were added - 9 months after the console came out. It's still missing the dynamic EQ and multiband compression that a lot of folks including me want. Those features just became available on the ILive - 5 or more years after product introduction.

I'm sure there will be additional features over time, but be careful about buying something with the expectation that things will change - you may be setting yourself up for disappointment - either that the feature doesn't come at all, or it takes much longer than you think it should.

Here's my take on the GEQ/PEQ conundrum:

I prefer to use PEQ on my aux output/monitor sends. Most onboard PEQ is four band, sometimes five. Some of the 4 band setups only have fixed Q/shelving options on the LF and HF. As a result, I still will haul a 3-space rack with Sabine GraphiQ's, giving me 6 aux mix control. Yes, I'm still hauling a (small) rack. But having 12 filters/channel, selectable between dynamic and parametric gives me control far beyond the built-in offerings on the under $10K digital consoles. It also gives me limiting, delay, compression (which I almost never use) and variable Q graphic as well as allowing me to leave a couple of filters in FBX mode to catch the inadvertent monitor scream when the acoustic guitar player bends over to move the set list or adjust their Baggs and reflects monitor into their vocal mic.

It COULD be changed later. WILL it? No one knows.

I have bought early on a number of products - 01v96, Korg Oasys, Kurzweil PC3X, A&H GLD, and I'm sure a few others that I'm forgetting.
I remember buying the akai s5000 sampler that was advertised to have a built-in midi player. This feature was added just before the sampler was discontinued and replaced with the z-series. That was a very long wait...

I remember buying the akai s5000 sampler that was advertised to have a built-in midi player. This feature was added just before the sampler was discontinued and replaced with the z-series. That was a very long wait...

and the fact that the undo button never worked and even in the latest firmware (on an S6000) when pressed displays 'Feature not implemented yet' !

This is what excites me. The advantage of recallable gains, but without the cost of the higher end preamps. I'm guessing these are simple motorized pots on analog pre's.

There are a couple off the shelf IC chipsets to make ic mic preamps with digital gain control... not heavy lifting or very expensive.

JR

Here's my take on the GEQ/PEQ conundrum:

I prefer to use PEQ on my aux output/monitor sends. Most onboard PEQ is four band, sometimes five. Some of the 4 band setups only have fixed Q/shelving options on the LF and HF. As a result, I still will haul a 3-space rack with Sabine GraphiQ's, giving me 6 aux mix control. Yes, I'm still hauling a (small) rack. But having 12 filters/channel, selectable between dynamic and parametric gives me control far beyond the built-in offerings on the under $10K digital consoles. It also gives me limiting, delay, compression (which I almost never use) and variable Q graphic as well as allowing me to leave a couple of filters in FBX mode to catch the inadvertent monitor scream when the acoustic guitar player bends over to move the set list or adjust their Baggs and reflects monitor into their vocal mic.

Dick, it sounds like the answer is: "in the interest of maintaining control, some things should stay outboard".

Dick, it sounds like the answer is: "in the interest of maintaining control, some things should stay outboard".

This is my main beef with digital consoles over the "old skool" analog desks and outboard: lack of instant access to to a plethora of controls. I find it shocking that none of these console manufactures has not come out with "virtual" outboard on touch screens with encoders so you can put up whatever stuff you want. And you should be able to buy as many of these controllers as you want & link them with the ability to program them to show you the outboard you want on a scene by scene basis. They should be light weight, flat, and connected via RJ45 jacks. You'd have a 19" wide rack that was only a few inches deep. Seems like a no-brainer, but what do I know? It seems like one big step backward with all the huge leaps forward in the actual desk technology.

Last edited:

Whether analog or digital, my preferences tend toward single purpose units.......equipment which is designed to perform one function extremely well. That opinion will never change. But the definition of "function" is mutable.

With outboard there is redundancy. Redundancy is a good thing, unless you're speaking in terms of British English where it can mean losing your job.
This part of the discussion could go on at length. I'll keep it short and just say that for now I'm keeping my Venice 320 with the "A list" outboard, my StudioLive 24:4:2, my Allen & Heath 14:4:2 in my "broadcast production rack" and awaiting delivery on my order of a Qu16.

The GL2000-24 in the Grundorf road case is available for purchase.........

This is my main beef with digital consoles over the "old skool" analog desks and outboard: lack of instant access to to a plethora of controls. I find it shocking that none of these console manufactures has not come out with "virtual" outboard on touch screens with encoders so you can put up whatever stuff you want. And you should be able to buy as many of these controllers as you want & link them with the ability to program them to show you the outboard you want on a scene by scene basis. They should be light weight, flat, and connected via RJ45 jacks. You'd have a 19" wide rack that was only a few inches deep. Seems like a no-brainer, but what do I know? It seems like one big step backward with all the huge leaps forward in the actual desk technology.
Ah, these are called iPads... I know a mixer that allows you to connect multiple iPads showing different controls, but I'm not allowed to name it here ;-)

I don't buy this argument. I'm sure someone can come up with a scenario where you "need" to simultaneously adjust the EQ of a guitar while changing the gate threshold of a tom while changing the reverb decay time, but for the other 99.9% of the time for speed and convenience, I'll take a reasonable-size surface like the GLD, CL3, Pro 2c, etc., over a large frame analog with outboard rack requiring a wheelie chair and a straight edge to find the right knob to turn.