About to embark on construction of all new cable trunks

Re: About to embark on construction of all new cable trunks

PPS - I also need a belt sander. The Porter Cable model I've had my eye on for a year is still out of reach, though.

I'd go Makita - http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?ID=321
I've got this one. It is lighter than most of the competition, and the case is strategically designed so you can clamp it upside down for use as a bench top, or clamp it on the side for an edge sander. Mine has been super reliable with fairly heavy use and still tracks perfectly.

New cable trunks about done and getting loaded up. I still have to order the handles from Penn, and put on my logo and labels for each stack. Logo is going to be a full-color sticker from a printing company adhered in the recessed area. I might screw some plexiglass over the label to protect it from scratches, but I'm not worried.

attachment.php

IMAG0233.jpgIMAG0235.jpg

Ron, you're dashing my hopes to find an excuse to buy more tools! This is most unlike you!

PS - I'm surprised you don't have a planer that you'd volunteer for use!

PPS - I also need a belt sander. The Porter Cable model I've had my eye on for a year is still out of reach, though.
I own and use a couple of PC 24 x 3 belt sanders. I made the choice based on availabilty and price of belts and suitabilty for the job (and recommendations from folks I sort-of know and trust based on their seeming experience in such matters).

I'm over-all happy with my decision... which was heavily influenced by Q&A sort-of *here* (well, much of this coffee shop gathering) a few years ago.

New cable trunks about done and getting loaded up. I still have to order the handles from Penn, and put on my logo and labels for each stack. Logo is going to be a full-color sticker from a printing company adhered in the recessed area. I might screw some plexiglass over the label to protect it from scratches, but I'm not worried.

attachment.php

View attachment 1619View attachment 1620

Silas,

If, in the future, you decide that these road boxes are not usefull...you can always use them for bee-keeping...but, paint them white to keep the hives cooler in the summer...

Just teasing...they're cool, and hopefully more functional for your use. But, as Steve posts below... Don't load down the top crates too much, they may be a workout.

Cheers,
Hammer

I really like this idea. Do you have plans?

For the ones in the above picture? There's nothing on paper, it's all in my head. If you want, I could draft something up.

Final dimensions are 22.5" x 30" by some dimension tall depending on base or tray version.

The dimensions of the case without the wear strips is one inch less in both directions.

I'm not a carpenter but I have a few power tools. Are the joints lapped or dado'd? 3/4" ply?
Great idea.

I'm not a carpenter but I have a few power tools. Are the joints lapped or dado'd? 3/4" ply?
Great idea.

It's cheap 3/4" ply using biscuits. Butt joints used to be good enough, but with cheap plywood, it ends up delaminating and breaking with the rigors of the road. The biscuits take the stress off the glue holding the plies together and makes the core of the wood do the holding. I have never had anything using biscuits fail.

So using a butt joint but with biscuits? About every 6" or so for the biscuits? My FIL has a biscuit slotter I could borrow. Now may be the time to buy a table saw though.
You think you could get by with 5/8th ply?
Thanks for the info.

So using a butt joint but with biscuits? About every 6" or so for the biscuits? My FIL has a biscuit slotter I could borrow. Now may be the time to buy a table saw though.
You think you could get by with 5/8th ply?
Thanks for the info.

I think you could easily get by with 5/8 or 1/2" ply if it's decent stuff. I only used 3/4 because it was cheaper than either of the former options. I used four biscuits per side, which does average out to be a biscuit ever 6 inches on center or so.

It's cheap 3/4" ply using biscuits. Butt joints used to be good enough, but with cheap plywood, it ends up delaminating and breaking with the rigors of the road. The biscuits take the stress off the glue holding the plies together and makes the core of the wood do the holding. I have never had anything using biscuits fail.

Use West System Epoxy. First coat the areas to be joined with an un-thickened mix to reinforce the plies, then use a thickened mix as your 'glue'.

Silas,
I made some boxes similar to yours. I used 1/2" G1S Fir. 00 biscuits every 8" or so and LOTS of carpenters glue. I didn't have clamps big enough so I just threw a few deck screws in to hold things tight. Did you use any screws on yours? I'm considering taking mine out since they end up chipping the edges so bad, plus I want to sand all the edges, fill holes etc- make everything nice before I start painting.

Silas,
I made some boxes similar to yours. I used 1/2" G1S Fir. 00 biscuits every 8" or so and LOTS of carpenters glue. I didn't have clamps big enough so I just threw a few deck screws in to hold things tight. Did you use any screws on yours? I'm considering taking mine out since they end up chipping the edges so bad, plus I want to sand all the edges, fill holes etc- make everything nice before I start painting.

I use brads, which essentially disappear once painted, no filler needed. I do have several giant quick-grips, and while they cost a fortune, they are indispensable.

I ened up removing the screws and then countersinking the holes. Screws back in, filled , sanded and ready for paint. What did you end up using for bump strips?

Wheels and handles just arrived today too.