Acoustically Transparent Material for the front of a PA system

Chris Greco

Sophomore
Feb 15, 2012
Yonkers, NY
Looking for info regarding acoustically transparent material for the front of a stage that would be placed in from of the PA. My vendors banner guy is suggesting open mesh Textiline. What should I expect sound wise, if anything from putting my PA behind it?

Re: Acoustically Transparent Material for the front of a PA system

Rose Brand Textilene is the majority of what I see in terms of sponsor banners in front of the PA. Yes it will knock down some HF, but it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things. If it rains just make sure the stage hands have some brooms handy to smack it with. If that stuff loads up with water, the amount of sound (not just HF) that reflects back is pretty striking.

Rose Brand Textilene is the majority of what I see in terms of sponsor banners in front of the PA. Yes it will knock down some HF, but it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things. If it rains just make sure the stage hands have some brooms handy to smack it with. If that stuff loads up with water, the amount of sound (not just HF) that reflects back is pretty striking.
+1 for that.. Just did a relay for life and the banners killed off my highend in front of the pa,(danley sm 80 over tx9s) but was awesome about sending it on deck... If I was playing, no monitors would be needed! Holy crap

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 0

The issue of reflections is made worse if a line array is used as well. The top boxes are generally likely to be more perpendicular to the scrim, meanign better transmission through the holes, but the lower boxes will be at a much more accute angle as they are likely to be pointing down at a greater angle, reducing the size of the holes and causing more reflections, and hence making the frequency response uneven as you move closer to the stage.
I have had major problems in the past at major main stage festivals, especially after a scrim has been re-painted/coated and massive HF reflections causing issues on stage and even backstage!

The issue of reflections is made worse if a line array is used as well. The top boxes are generally likely to be more perpendicular to the scrim, meanign better transmission through the holes, but the lower boxes will be at a much more accute angle as they are likely to be pointing down at a greater angle, reducing the size of the holes and causing more reflections, and hence making the frequency response uneven as you move closer to the stage.

How would this be any different then the downfill boxes in a point source array? The incident angle is likely identical.

Sent from my iPhone

How would this be any different then the downfill boxes in a point source array? The incident angle is likely identical.

Sent from my iPhone

It wouldn't really, but I was just using the example compared with the picture posted of a ground stacked PA system. With a line array howver, with a long hang and a scrim, the underhang (or lower cabinets anyway) will also tend to be further away from the scrim also due to the nature of the curve.
Either way, scrims are not good for audio!

Well, a real line array doesn't curve at the bottom. It's straight all the way down. wink wink.