ADA8000....dumb question...

Ok... my 01v96 is on the way. I know I need 8 more inputs via ADAT, and I am getting an ADA8000. Now... if I get 2 adat cables, (for in and out), does this mean i get 8 extra ins for the board and 8 extra outs? Or are there only 8 A/D-D/A converters in the unit total? I'm confused on this. Will i need two seperate ADA8000 units, or will this one give me 8 ins PLUS 8 outs??

Thanks.

Re: ADA8000....dumb question...

Thanks... Ive been RTFM on so many things lately i cant remember what's what... I thought i read somewhere that the mic pre ins would be directly routed to the outs... basically saying that if you used up all 8 ins... youre outs were basically like a direct out or a thru. Thanks for clarifying.

Adding an ADA8000 to your 01v96 makes the board have: 20 XLR Channel inputs and 10 outsputs (2 mains and 8 monitors).

It is actually 14 outs: 2 main outs (XLR), 4 omni outs (TRS), and 8 ADA8000 outputs (XLR).

It's all semantics, but I would add that there are 20 mic preamps, 4 TRS or 2TRS & 2RCA inputs (for 24 inputs) and that the outputs Matthew mentioned are limited by the 8 aux sends and L/R out, which I think is what Matt V. was getting at. The extra outputs can still be nice though. For a small festival this summer we had more monitor mixes available than auxes. The stage was big enough that I was able to maximize their use depending on the acts without needing to re-patch everything.

If you need some more inputs I would also add that if you keep an eye out you can get the original 8/8 adat card for a good bit less than the 16/16 version and it will give you a very usable package. I got one by buying an original 01v which included it at a good price and then later sold the 01v for $25 less without the card.

One last tip, by deselecting layer select you can have SM control a lower layer and keep a finger on the top physical layer if you need to. Helpful in some situations.

Enjoy the possibilities....

As a long time 01V96 user I have one other piece of advise.

Use the word clock to sync the 2 units and don't depend on the embedded sync in the ADAT.

All it takes to make it work is to have a length of 75 ohm coax with BNC connectors on the end, a BNC TEE adapter and a 75 ohm terminator.

The TEE goes on the ADA8000 with one side of the TEE to the cable to the mixer and the other side gets the terminator.

You can buy the terminator at lots of on-line places.

I suggest getting a ''goal post'' style TEE. It will make cable routing much easier. They can be found on-line too.

Enjoy. The 01V96/ADA8000 is a great combo.

Adding an ADA8000 to your 01v96 makes the board have: 20 XLR Channel inputs and 10 outsputs (2 mains and 8 monitors).

It is actually 14 outs: 2 main outs (XLR), 4 omni outs (TRS), and 8 ADA8000 outputs (XLR).

It's all semantics, but I would add that there are 20 mic preamps, 4 TRS or 2TRS & 2RCA inputs (for 24 inputs) and that the outputs Matthew mentioned are limited by the 8 aux sends and L/R out, which I think is what Matt V. was getting at.

at the risk of being annoyingly nit-picky...

add to the above physical i/o count 2 channels of digital in and 2 channels of digital out, both s/pdif. oh, and the main outs are paralleled on rca as well.

it's good to remember that all these physical i/o points can also be used as insert points, group outs, redundant outs , etc.

once you add a card into the mix, things can get really interesting. the routing possibilities on this thing are almost limitless. i've used spare eq from unused channels to expand my main out eq, and even created matrices of a sort by running group outs back into inputs. nifty stuff...

happy mixing!

brian

add to the above physical i/o count 2 channels of digital in and 2 channels of digital out, both s/pdif. oh, and the main outs are paralleled on rca as well.

it's good to remember that all these physical i/o points can also be used as insert points, group outs, redundant outs , etc.

once you add a card into the mix, things can get really interesting. the routing possibilities on this thing are almost limitless. i've used spare eq from unused channels to expand my main out eq, and even created matrices of a sort by running group outs back into inputs. nifty stuff...

happy mixing!

brian

+1.... once you wrap your head around the soft patching possibilities... it can really be a lot of fun. I've got an 01v96 setup with the MY16 adat card and two ADA8000 units. I'm using a small ART Sync Gen word clock generator to keep everyone in sync.

Having that many outs on XLR is a real bonus at a lot of events. . . always super easy to grab another out and patch in a rec feed at the last second... just to be able to patch one thing to multiple outs without having to dig for Y cables and 1/4'' to XLR adaptors is an awesome time saver.

The pre's leave something to be desired in the simple lack of consistency in the pots.. and how just the slightest turn can take you from almost hot enough... to ATOMIC levels very abruptly. The metering is also on the minimalist side of things for a mic pre. Would love to have a pad too... as I usually like to have drum mics on those pre's (leaving the board pres for the vocals and other stuff that might change more often) ... and the drums can be too hot with certain mics, even with the gain all the way down on the pre... I hate having to dangle an inline pad out the front of the unit like that... total disaster waiting to happen.

Sorry for the run-on sentence. Have fun with your expanded 01v!