Adding an amp for Monitors?

Walter McNeil

Dec 17, 2018
Utopia TX
Hi All,
Taking over the sound system at a small rural church. I'm a total novice, so thanks for being patient with me...
The old system was an 8-channel preamp connected to a 750w x2 power amp. I replaced the 8-knob preamp with a 16-channel digital mixing board (Mackie Dl1608).
We have two large main speakers mounted to the side walls firing out to the congregation, with two smaller monitor speakers mounted directly beneath the mains firing back toward the stage.
In the original configuration, one of the two amp outputs was connected to the 'main' speakers, and the other amp output was connected to the monitors. So in the original configuration I could control the level of the monitors, but they had the same content as the mains.
I only have the one power amp, so in other words, the 'left' channel was sending mono to BOTH main speakers and the 'right' channel was sending mono to BOTH monitors.
I have reconfigured it so that one of the main outs feeds the amp's left channel and Aux1 feeds the amp's right channel, so at least I have full control of the monitors separate from the mains. But no control from one side of the hall to the other.
I'm thinking about adding a 2nd (smaller) power amp, and running Main L&R on the old amp, then two Aux Sends to the new amp.
The monitors being on the side walls may not be ideal, but that's what I've got. And I'm thinking this new amp could drive the sidewall monitors on one channel and use the other channel to drive some floor jacks for portable monitors on the stage.
Does that sound like a good plan?
Any recommendations on an amp for monitors? The existing amp is a Peavey GPS 1500 if that matters. It's probably overkill in this application; I don't think we're driving it anywhere near its limit.

Random thoughts:
I will assume that the original 8 channel preamp was an 8 channel mixer.
The power amp configuration as it stands now is the mains being run mono (not stereo) and both monitors on one mix.
Questions: Has the church been satisfied with the system as it stands? Is there a real need to go stereo mains and two monitor mixes?

Mono mains is not really that bad, unless there are some major balance issues. The monitors are a different story.

Stereo mains and two monitor mixes are nice to have but you may not need them in your fixed situation. If anything, another monitor mix (or two) would be convenient.

Upgrading to a digital board is a good idea as it should allow you to mix remotely via an iPad (if so equipped).

Another thing: Digi boards are a bit more complicated than an analog board.
Will you be at the church for every service? What if you are sick and another volunteer has to run it? Things can get accidentally rerouted on a digi board very easily....then what?

I don't want to talk you out of new gear but.....

Thanks. I'm not sure what the definition of 'mixer' is, but the old preamp had 8 level knobs and a main knob. So it could mix the various signals together and feed it to the power amp, but that was the extent of it.
The setup generally worked ok, but there was an issue with the output being very low. The main output had a y-splitter sending it to the main amp and an audio over ethernet box to send sound to the fellowship hall. I suspect that the splitter was to blame.
Yes, complexity will be an issue. I have the ipad view restricted so it only shows sliders to represent the old knobs. And once I've run the show a few more Sundays I think I can train up a couple of alternates. Once everything is turned on, it's mostly a matter of muting various inputs on Sunday. Monitor mixes will only come into play for special events.