ADJ qa12x vs. Mega Q70 Babycolor

Jerry Burns

Freshman
Jan 17, 2012
To start off I just sold my OPTI 575 watt pars. and want to replace them with LED Pars. I had the Opti's mounted on bars 4 to a bar with dimmers. They were hard to handle weight and hard to pack in the truck. The light was very good compared to the old Par 64's they replaced. 16 Opti pars used 1 50amp cable to the truss. In truth the dimmers handled them but were not rated for that much draw.
Well after reading a lot of post and talking to different people I decided to try a couple lights and see for my self.
I bought a Mega Q70 Babycolor and a friend had a American Dj QA12w. Yesterday I set both lights up in my Family room and shined them on the ceiling 9 ' high. Also a Par 64 to compare.
The Mega Q70 is a very compact light, with 7 x 10 watt lens. RGBW DMX control and Power Con Connectors for power. Has the Double Yoke Stand and is made of metal. Really well made light with most of the features I need and other lights in it's price range have. It was brought to my attention from this forum in a couple post. I really wanted to like this light because of it's size.
The ADJ q12w is a lot bigger than the Q70 in Size and weights. It has 12 5 watt lens and is made of metal with the double yoke stand and DMX with IEC power cables. This light has RGBA and the color is great. Very sharp looking.
I thought the Mega would put out more light than the ADJ but I was wrong. The ADJ is about 20% brighter and the colors are very clean. Maybe it's the Amber, I don't know both are 25 degree throw and the mega comes with a defuse lens.I removed it so the test were as even as I could make them.
Both lights are very good quality and the American DJ light cost about 1/3 more. But for my use the ADJ is the way to go. I know there are better lights out there but just to wash a stage with color QA12w will work for me. If I still did lots of corp. work I think Mega would be a better fit, size and cost. The ADJ light has a wireless controller that work about 15 feet away. It only cost like $20. so it might be handy to have. One more thing I noticed was the colors don't match from each light. So I don't think I would want to mix them. Well this is the second time I have written this because the first one went away somewhere in Computer heaven. Thanks Guys

Re: ADJ qa12x vs. Mega Q70 Babycolor

The Q70 looks exactly like my Blizzard Hotbox 5 - similar spec's if not the same. I paid $170 each for the Hotbox 5's.

The ADJ QA12X costs bit more than the Q70, so I guess you get what you pay for. Both are likely very good LED lights.

Re: ADJ qa12x vs. Mega Q70 Babycolor

Just a little up date. We set up 5 of the ADJ Qa12w's last night for a show tonight. We hang them on a truss about 14 feet in the air for a 16'x12' stage. We put 5 led's for color and 4 par 56's for spots on dimmer. Nothing fancy but enough to light the stage. The show is for Tim Flannery's Irish Folk band. I'm really impressed with the out put of these pars and the great colors. I have more on order but so far so good. I have always had my opti pars on light bars 4 to a bar with clamps on top and dimmers on the bar. I want to set these up the same way but the bars need to be longer I think. Most of the shows we do, we just wash the stage with color and a few spots on the bands. So these are perfect so far. I also think I will need the same number of these as we would of used with the opti par. I used 16 575wt opti's on a 30 x 24 stage and that was just enough we could of used 20 so it will take the same amount of these new lights. This is a better way to go because of the electricity but the change over is expensive. I guess it's Keep Growing or get going!! I'll take a few pictures tonight and see if I can post them.