Advice on ellipsoidal/leko

Hank Staples

Freshman
Sep 16, 2011
Looking for advice! Needing two ellipsoidals or Lekos for a show this weekend that will allow me to use size "d" drop in gobo. I know there are a lot of size variations in fixtures. I have searched online and cant seem to find any that specifically say they use size d gobos. Any help appreciated!

Re: Advice on ellipsoidal/leko

The D size gobo isn't one of the common sizes, and none of the offerings that are readily available will accept that size with standard parts. That said, the D size gobo is smaller than most of the normal sizes, so could be made to work with some effort. Here are your options:

1) Find a unit intended for D-size gobos (Wikipedia claims that 2 such units are the Martin PR-1 and the Ecospot 40)
2) Get a custom gobo in the appropriate (A or B) size for the common ellipsoidal fixtures
3) Make a custom gobo holder for your ellipsoidal of choice
4) Use something like a Rosco Imagepro to duplicate the gobo

Option 3 is going to be the quickest, but will be challenging if you have glass gobos. For steel, you should be able to make an adapter ring for a standard gobo holder. If you go with that option, the Source 4 Jr. is going to be your best option, as it uses M size gobos which are the closest in size to a D size.
Option 2 will be the easiest to work with, and will give the best image quality. Option 4 is similar, and may get you something quicker.

What gobo is so special that not only is it size "d", but worth buying a special leko for rather than replacing the gobo? Buying a whole new unit is far more expensive (~300USD) than simply purchasing a new gobo (~12USD for steel and ~60USD for glass). Pardon me for asking rather than offering an answer to your question, but I'm legitimately curious as to what this gobo is! :eek:~:-o~:eek:

My recommendation is to save yourself time and money and purchase a new gobo that fits into existing inventory.

Thanks for the replies. As for buying a new gobo..that would be the best option but the gig is thursday and there is no time to get that done.

Thanks for the replies. As for buying a new gobo..that would be the best option but the gig is thursday and there is no time to get that done.

There's a also no time to hunt down an obscure ERS, either. If you contact Apollo today, they can get you a gobo by Thursday - just let them know what your situation is.

Or, go with Rob's third option and a source four Jr zoom, readily available across the country.