AES/EBU on 5 or 6 pin XLR

Re: AES/EBU on 5 or 6 pin XLR

If the signals are coming from the same place, you can do shared ground using shielded cat5 cable and 5pin XLRs.

Why not just 2 * 3pin taped together though?

I'm looking to drive four mix monitor racks with a single 6 pin XLR, or even 5 pin if they can share the ground. Just wondering if anyone's been successful and if so what cable do you recommend?
I would probably use Neutrik ethercon and something like Belden 1305a. Excellent AES/EBU cable.
If you want to use 5-pin XLR look into any 2-pair AES/EBU cable with not too big OD, something like http://shop.klotz-ais.com/cgi-bin/q...rubnum=&artnum=DMX2_&file=&gesamt_zeilen=&p8= or http://info.sommercable.com/2__default/index.html

Why not just 2 * 3pin taped together though?
I chose a career in the production industry, so besides having my head examined, I would rather devise an extensive & elaborate plan to shave seconds off of the set-up and tear-down times. Spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on fancy cabling, connectors, and rack panels. Spend days if not weeks designing, wiring, and implementing the idea. And then lastly, in a about a year when I'm bored with it all, I will sell it for probably less than scrap value.

Make sense?

I chose a career in the production industry, so besides having my head examined, I would rather devise an extensive & elaborate plan to shave seconds off of the set-up and tear-down times. Spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on fancy cabling, connectors, and rack panels. Spend days if not weeks designing, wiring, and implementing the idea. And then lastly, in a about a year when I'm bored with it all, I will sell it for probably less than scrap value.

Make sense?

Yeah, specially the part about making your set up rely on custom cables not available from anyone else, so when they fail and take down your system you can just pack up and go home rather than working all night.

Mac

Make sense?

Yup, that's how I feel. I'm trying to change, though.

Jason

Yeah, specially the part about making your set up rely on custom cables not available from anyone else, so when they fail and take down your system you can just pack up and go home rather than working all night.

Mac

Joking aside, Mac, all of our panels have XLR male & female wired to the amp inputs, so the 5 or 6 pin would just make things neater & quicker when using a digital console/stagebox with aes/ebu outputs.

Last edited:

Joking aside, Mac, all of our panels have XLR male & female wired to the amp inputs, so the 5 or 6 pin would just make things neater & quicker when using a digital console/stagebox with aes/ebu outputs.

Not really joking. Relying on a unique cable seems like a singularly bad idea. If you are only trying to get 2 110Ω balanced lines, why not just use CAT5? Real easy to replace, and you probably would have spares around anyway. Digital 2pair may be hard to find.

Mac

AES3 is a balanced signal with a shield conenction, so a 5-pin XLR would work. As DMX cable is also 5-pin, 110 ohm nominal, and intended for 2 data pairs, I'd probably go that route if I wanted to stick with XLR. The only caveat is that AES3 runs at about 6x the data rate of DMX, and so will be pickier about cable.

STP cat5 in an Ethercon should also work nicely, and gives you an upgrade path down the road (and with the right breakout wiring, could carry 100Mbit Ethernet in addition to your 2 AES streams - Powersoft is doing this with their KAESOP wiring).

STP cat5 in an Ethercon should also work nicely, and gives you an upgrade path down the road (and with the right breakout wiring, could carry 100Mbit Ethernet in addition to your 2 AES streams - Powersoft is doing this with their KAESOP wiring).
AES/EBU works absolutely fine without the shield. Belden makes a digital audio cable without shield: http://www.belden.com/docs/upload/NP267.pdf

As has been previously said DMX uses 5 pin xlr's and should be wired as 2 pairs + ground/shield.
They are also the same impedance (110Ω).
Sommer cable (www.sommercable.com) should have what you require. or if not any dmx cable with aes/ebu standard cabling should be fine.
This will also have the massive advantage that if you loose a cable picking up a replacement should be relatively easy.