AES/EBU to Analog XLR low-cost converter

Rob Bernstein

Freshman
Oct 23, 2013
Framingham, MA
A while back I was part of a thread about how to utilize the AES/EBU outputs on my SoundCraft StageBox.
I don't have any power amps with AES/EBU Inputs and was looking for a low-cost way to add some outputs to the 8 analog outs on the box.
I came across a small 2-channel converter called a DAC-20 made by Graham Patten (out of production) for $120 on ebay. I bought 2 of them, and they work great when I need some extra monitor sends at the StageBox.
The guy I bought them from just emailed me and said he has a few more. If anyone is interested, here is a link.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Graham-Patt...o_Audio_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35df07321e

Re: AES/EBU to Analog XLR low-cost converter

For only $200 you could have an SRC 24/96 which will convert in either direction. I have had one for several years without a problem.

Re: AES/EBU to Analog XLR low-cost converter

I've used one of the cheap-arse fleaBay analog to PDIF converters ($20?) for break music into an AES input (using a cheap RCA to XLR adapter cable) and haven't had any problems with it - YMMV ...

[Fast forward 5 years...]

I have found the M-Audio Flying Cow is a nice looking A2D and D2A converter. This goes both ways, but down separate paths:
1) AES In -> Analog L&R out
and
2) Analog L&R In -> AES out

For the purpose of converting the Stagebox AES outputs, you wouldn't need reverse Analog to AES option, but for the price, it doesn't hurt to have the option.