AES50 X32 routing question

Brian jojade

Senior
Jan 15, 2011
Wausau, WI
www.happymacshop.com
I have a show coming up where I will be using an X32 compact FOH, and 2 X32 racks on stage as stage boxes. There will be a FOH operator, as well as a monitor operator, side stage via iPad.

I was thinking of using one of the X32 racks as a monitor desk instead of having the iPad have control of the main desk, as a way to alleviate any potential user error making adjustments to the FOH sound. My plan was to route the FOH outputs to the 2nd X32 rack, so if there were some sort of cable malfunction, some sound could still pass. If I daisy chained the X32 racks, and the one in the middle failed, everything would go down.

Then I got to thinking, what if I create a loop? Since each unit has 2 AES50 ports, it could be wired like this:

Rack --- Rack
\ /
\ /
Compact

Set up this way, if there were some breach in cabling, there would be the ability to re-set the routing that doesn't use the broken piece of cable. This could be saved pre-show as a preset, making an emergency change much easier.

Any flaws you can see with this sort of setup?

Re: AES50 X32 routing question

Any flaws you can see with this sort of setup?

Not sure if your "drawing" came out right, but if you have a loop, compact - rack1 - rack2 - compact, you can do identical streams clockwise and anticlockwise and be immune to any single cable failure. Just have a snippet on each unit for clockwise and anticlockwise routing. And using one of the racks for monitors is a no-brainer, not only for the safety, but the extra facilities for the monitor mixes.

Re: AES50 X32 routing question

Reason for having snippets is that these can be invoked without disturbing anything but the specific changes that the snippets are made for. If you have snippets specifically for redoing the routing - home assignments and the routing - xlr out assignments, these can be invoked at any time without messing up whatever else has been changed on the mixes. Doing the same with scenes necessitates having the exactly right parameter and channel safes set.

The snippet to get inputs and outputs from AES50A would look like this:
#2.1# "A-route" 0 0 0 0 1
/config/routing/IN A1-8 A9-16 A17-24 A25-32
/config/routing/OUT A33-36 A37-40 A41-44 A45-48

and to change it to source from AES50B:

#2.1# "B-route" 0 0 0 0 1
/config/routing/IN B1-8 B9-16 B17-24 B25-32
/config/routing/OUT B33-36 B37-40 B41-44 B45-48

actual routing is of course going to look a bit different on each unit, and outputs are likely to be sourced from the opposite AES50 port to where the inputs are sourced, and the eight output units (all except the X32BigBoy) will only have two OUT assignment blocks of four.