Air Freight?

Steve Payne

Junior
Jan 16, 2011
Richmond, VA
soundworksva.com
I need to air freight a console door to door, from Virginia to California. Someone recommended Trump Card. They quoted me $466. one way PLUS $975 for an insured value of $15k.
I don't consider that reasonable. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.

Re: Air Freight?

I need to air freight a console door to door, from Virginia to California. Someone recommended Trump Card. They quoted me $466. one way PLUS $975 for an insured value of $15k.

How big(dimensions?)?

How much does it weigh?

Door to door?

How quick?

Call some others, including FedEx's heavy freight division.

A $15k mixer is probably not a small one, and air freight isn't LTL.

Best regards,

John

Next day early shipping on a 2RU device in manufacturer box was ~$200 via FedEx (retail price, more frequent shippers can certainly do better) last time I needed to do that, and I've also seen quotes in that same $200 range for ~100lb flight cases on UPS at bulk shipper rates (for something that usually ships standard UPS ground). So the shipping part of that quote doesn't seem out of line for a console valued at $15k, at least not assuming a console in a flight case that may or may not fit happily into a standard air freight container. I don't have a good point of reference on the insurance, though.

Tours move gear around the country by truck all the time. Why are you apprehensive?
I use Rockit Cargo for gear shipments with critical pickup and drop off times. I use Freight Quote otherwise.

Tours use air ride trailers. I have a straight truck for over the road transport that is air ride. i have a small 16 foot truck for local that is standard spring suspension. Huge difference. Thanks for the suggestion of the 2 shippers.

6.5% of the total value for insurance seems on the high end to me.

For shipping, freightquote.com is a good start. I've shipped plenty of gear with them and not had a problem. Packaged correctly, a ride in the trailer shouldn't be much of an issue.

Steve,

$466 sounds great for an air quote, but you don't have to insure with those guys at that rate. We use UPS Capital Insurance to insure all our shipments regardless of destination or type, a blanket policy that secures our entire domestic business. Much cheaper than paying per shipment.

Based on what I recall it costing us (day job) to ship some M7CLs, I'd expect to pay about $466 for your shipment via LTL, maybe another $100 for insurance. Sounds like they are under way low on the freight and way high on the insurance, but the total sounds like what I'd expect.