AKG DMS700 (and other digital mic systems) experience

Adam Robinson

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Chicago IL
I have been demoing an AKG DMS700V2 system. We are enjoying improved audio quality over the previous AKG system we were using with our artist, but I am having RF stability issues with the mic. During each show I have used the mic on, I get drop outs (and the receiver notifies me of RF Interference). The drop-outs are not graceful - it's about 2 seconds each time it happens for audio to return. This is happening to me even in relatively clean RF environments. I have tried multiple antennae configurations: the 1/4 waves that came with the unit, the passive AKG paddles that I have with my older systems, and passive paddles going into a Shure antenna splitter that is feeding the rest of my RF (mostly Shure UHF-R).

Any ideas out there as to why this continues to happen?

Re: AKG DMS700 (and other digital mic systems) experience

I have been demoing an AKG DMS700V2 system. We are enjoying improved audio quality over the previous AKG system we were using with our artist, but I am having RF stability issues with the mic. During each show I have used the mic on, I get drop outs (and the receiver notifies me of RF Interference). The drop-outs are not graceful - it's about 2 seconds each time it happens for audio to return. This is happening to me even in relatively clean RF environments. I have tried multiple antennae configurations: the 1/4 waves that came with the unit, the passive AKG paddles that I have with my older systems, and passive paddles going into a Shure antenna splitter that is feeding the rest of my RF (mostly Shure UHF-R).

Any ideas out there as to why this continues to happen?

It has happened to me too, I find that if I do a full scan everytime it helps if not solves the problem. I'm going to talk to my AKG rep tomorrow if they are back from the Namm show, and see what he thinks.

Frank Dwyer

Interesting, Frank. I've got an email into my AKG guys, too.

I'm not doing a scan with the unit itself, as I'm in the UK on tour and our frequencies have been given to us by Ofcom. I do, however, use my RF Analyzer each day to confirm the frequencies they've given me are clean (they are) and use IAS to confirm that the list of frequencies they've given me for all my RF will play well together (they do). I have been using the analog AKG RF mics for several years with the same artist and with diligent analysis and coordination have never taken hits on my main mic. I throw this new product into the mix and it seems I can't get rid of them!

Interesting, Frank. I've got an email into my AKG guys, too.

I'm not doing a scan with the unit itself, as I'm in the UK on tour and our frequencies have been given to us by Ofcom. I do, however, use my RF Analyzer each day to confirm the frequencies they've given me are clean (they are) and use IAS to confirm that the list of frequencies they've given me for all my RF will play well together (they do). I have been using the analog AKG RF mics for several years with the same artist and with diligent analysis and coordination have never taken hits on my main mic. I throw this new product into the mix and it seems I can't get rid of them!

I talked to Rick Murphy from AKG and he said that they will do an upgrade from V1 to V2 on the reciever if you have V1, he also said do the quick scan and make sure that you have it set for 50mv (most likley you do)

Frank

I've got a V2 system and am not using the scanning function because as I mentioned, my frequencies have been dictated by Ofcom in the UK. I have confirmed that those frequencies are clean, though, and all of my RF is properly coordinated. I continue to experience random interference.

I've got a V2 system and am not using the scanning function because as I mentioned, my frequencies have been dictated by Ofcom in the UK. I have confirmed that those frequencies are clean, though, and all of my RF is properly coordinated. I continue to experience random interference.
Is the lighting/video rig fired up when you setup and check the system?

Is the lighting/video rig fired up when you setup and check the system?

Yes. Furthermore along those lines, the RF issues are not happening when he's hanging out around the myriads of video and lighting upstage, but has always happened on the downstage area.

Yes. Furthermore along those lines, the RF issues are not happening when he's hanging out around the myriads of video and lighting upstage, but has always happened on the downstage area.
OK. Do remember that the position of the transmitter will not affect how the receiving antennas are picking up RF "noise".

OK. Do remember that the position of the transmitter will not affect how the receiving antennas are picking up RF "noise".

Duh - you're quite right - it was a stupid comment. Receiving antennae get good placement on stage both away from the video wall. None of my analog wireless systems have experienced any issues while the digital one was.

For what it's worth, I've stopped using this mic. It decided to ask for a Firmware Update (effectively becoming non-functional as a microphone) in the middle of a large sold out show that was also being streamed to a large audience on the web. After going on over two years with the same artist without one RF hiccup to this, I just don't trust the mic and am going back to what I've found tried and proven. Sorry, AKG.

Hope you don't mind if I piggy-back on this thread with a related question. I will setup a multi-channel DMS700 V2 system for he first time in a week and I'm a little confused about the Network Architect software. With Shure Wireless Workbench I can hook all the receivers up to a network switch and to my computer. But with the DMS700 system it looks like I would need a HUB 4000 Q to use the software and communicate with the receivers. Is that correct, or can I network them all together with a normal switch just like the Shure units and skip the HUB 4000?
Thanks!