Allen&Heath GLD

Re: Allen&Heath GLD

ACE Card in GLD, to iDR rack. It's expensive, since you're doubling up processing dollars, in both the GLD and the iDR; you're using the GLD CPU.
I'm waiting to hear back about GLD controlling an xDR (or 2 or 3) directly via ACE. It looks like it's a bit out, needing a firmware update for GLD first.

As far as I know, it's also not completely functional - I'm not aware of the GLD being able to remote control the iDR rack's IO directly - ACE works like Dante, where you have to push the channels on the wire, and then the GLD subscribes, right?

ACE is audio and control, not just audio. It's how various A&H boxes control each other.

The dSnake protocol is more stripped down than ACE, and Dante even more so.

ACE is audio and control, not just audio. It's how various A&H boxes control each other.

The dSnake protocol is more stripped down than ACE, and Dante even more so.

I understand that; however I've never seen anything written that the GLD surface can control an iDR rack. Do you know this works, or are you making an assumption?

I understand that; however I've never seen anything written that the GLD surface can control an iDR rack. Do you know this works, or are you making an assumption?

I haven't done it first hand, but have talked with the A&H rep a number of times about it. If it were to come up in a project of ours, we would test it first.

The teaser video for the new baby GLD looks cool. The baby GLD is just an educated guess, looks like GLD guts into a smaller/lower cost package to keep the X32/Presonus/Peformer/etc market at bay.

I mixed on a GLD for the first time last week in Veldez, AK. Through a game of telephone I found out only days before the gig that the GLD was being shipped from Anchorage to Valdez for the gig and that the tech at the venue had never used it. I watched a couple of useless Youtube videos and arranged to go into the venue early to figure out how to configure the console to do the show.

I had the console doing what I want within an hour. I made the main outputs send from a stereo matrix, delayed the front fill, etc. It easily performed all the functions you expect from a digital console. It sounded pretty good doing it, too. I would definitely take it for smaller shows and prefer it to an LS 9. I'm pretty sure it sounds better than an M7.