Am I allowed to ask for job quotes on here?

Simon Eves

Sophomore
May 12, 2013
Not sure if this is legit or not, and obviously I would expect any response to be private and I would not share them with anyone...

As a comparison point in an ongoing financial discussion with my usual pool of "clients", I would like to get some example quotes for a mid-level community theater production of "Chicago"...

Saturday day set-up, Sunday all-day Q2Q and tech run, Mon-Wed eve tech/dress, Thu preview, then four weekends of Fri & Sat eve & Sun mat
18 actors all on wireless (Sennheiser EW100 or better, Countryman B3 or better)
Three-piece band (digital piano, upright bass, small drum kit; pro musicians)
Proper mixing (digital board, X32 or better, good dynamics/EQ, DCA/VCA cues, line-by-line mixing)
Source and program simple sound effects and pre/int/post-show music (QLab playback or whatever, perhaps cued by SM)
House has its own PA but must provide mixer and everything upstream
Probably just one person, assistance provided by production for busy parts (mics-on etc.)
North Bay Area, California

Ballpark, what would you charge to come in and do that. No need for details, but please quote labor and gear separately.

To be clear, I won't be hiring any of you. I just need the numbers as ammunition in a discussion. I hope that's OK.

Reply by PM.

I have done a few high/jr. high school musicals.
They can be fun...
I do not own enough wireless lavs (I only have four) thus I need to "rent in" additional mics.

When I send in the bid/price quote I list everything (yes, everything...down to patch cable...all of which I have in my inventory) that I bring; I also include the price of the rented in gear (and delivery costs).

My fee to tech a local (in my town) school show is $125.00 per night for a three hour period for a week's run.

If they balk at the price I tell them to call a local rental company to rent the gear, have the company deliver the gear, I set it up, tech the gig, and will pack it up ready for pickup on the last night.

Sometimes a client needs to see the actual cost of the gear to get the job done.

FWIW: as a musician that has performed in the "pit" for many local and professional shows I know that cost of music/script/backdrop rentals has gone up tremendously in the past 40 years since I started performing.

The producer of a local show never questions Tams Whitmark, etc. on their rental costs and royality cost per performance... Why should that same producer question the cost of production??

Just as a ballpark in my area equipment would look like per week.
50$ per wireless unit + 15 per countryman. 1170$
100$ for X32. 100$
The band stuff would be pretty tiddly but the labor would be pretty substantial. You will need to know someone who knows what they are doing operating 18 mics and running cues.