Amplifier - Speakers Matching

Daniel Geltman

Freshman
Jul 20, 2017
Hi there,
I have 2 old LG speakers I want to connect to my PC.
I've been trying to find an adequate amp on Ebay but had no success.
Since I know practically nothing about this, can you help me match an amplifier?

Speaker info:
Impedance: 6ohm
Max power: 60W

Thanks!

Hi! You should buy a less powerful amplifier than your speakers. One of 50w would be good for you so that you do not have the possibility to burn them. And also know the impedance of the amplifier, since your speakers are 6 ohms, your amplifier also has to work at 6 ohms.

Hi Daniel,

Actually exactly the opposite of what Haritz said is true, you should aim for an amplifier than has around double the RMS power of your speaker and then limit the power down to the rating of the speaker to avoid damage. This is to allow for headroom and to avoid over straining the amplifier, having too little power means you can end up creating a clipped (square wave) signal which is very damaging to loudspeakers.

Here is a good article from Crown which explains this in detail.

https://www.crownaudio.com/how-much-amplifier-power

- Alex

Reactions: John Renner
Hi Daniel,

Actually exactly the opposite of what Haritz said is true, you should aim for an amplifier than has around double the RMS power of your speaker and then limit the power down to the rating of the speaker to avoid damage. This is to allow for headroom and to avoid over straining the amplifier, having too little power means you can end up creating a clipped (square wave) signal which is very damaging to loudspeakers.

Here is a good article from Crown which explains this in detail.

https://www.crownaudio.com/how-much-amplifier-power

- Alex

Yeah, you'll end up melting either the speaker or the amp if you buy an under-powered amplifier.

+1 on the larger amplifier. You can use an amplifier that is 6 ohms, or 4 ohms or 2 ohms stable, but not a 8 ohm only amplifier. Some 8 ohm amplifiers are 4 ohm stable as well, but that is not guaranteed and usually only in mono mode. In my experience that is.

Connecting the amplifier to your pc will require a cable that will depend on the output ports of your soundcard, and the inputs of the amplifier.