Amplifier started smoking - How probable is it that I damaged my expensive speakers?

Tom Kristensen

Freshman
Dec 8, 2015
First of all, I'm an idiot. My computer had broken down, and I was in a hurry installing everything. I have an old fashioned analog soundcard. So, with the volume cranked on and a song playing, I started plugging in the amplifier that was already connected to the speakers. There are some popping sounds, and at once the amplifier starts smoking. I turn it off immediately, pull out the plugs and throw it out. It's my own damn fault for keeping the volume levels so high, but I've previously have had the same type of amplifier that also broke down. This is not quality stuff in any way, but I'm stuck with it because of my sound card. Now, I've ordered a new amplifier, but I wonder, how probable is it that my kinda expensive speakers were damaged? Or my computer, for that part. Your input will be much appreciated.

This is the amplifier. A Dynavoice Amp-80 stereo amplifier, with 2x75 watts of class D. http://www.dynavoice.co/portfolio-items/d-amp-80/

amp-80.jpg

These are my speakers. Boston 25. http://www.bostonacoustics.com/US/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatId=HomeAudio%28BostonAcoustics_US%29&SubCatId=ASeries%28BostonAcoustics_US%29&Pid=A25Bookshelf%28BostonAcoustics%29

c26-aseriesa25-1-l.jpg

Re: Amplifier started smoking - How probable is it that I damaged my expensive speake

It depends on what sort of protection the amp has for the speakers.

The best way is to simply hook the speakers up to another amp and listen.

Re: Amplifier started smoking - How probable is it that I damaged my expensive speake

I don't have any amplifier right now. Just wanted to know the probability of damage done to these speakers. Is an amp blow out, happening real fast, capable of damaging them?

I don't have any amplifier right now. Just wanted to know the probability of damage done to these speakers. Is an amp blow out, happening real fast, capable of damaging them?

Sure it is, but it also may not.

For the information provided it's impossible to say with any certainty, one way or the other.

If it put DC on the output, then it could take out the speakers in a matter of seconds or less-depending on the amp size and the speaker capability.

Tom, it's a 50/50 shot on your speakers. Your computer is probably fine, if it still boots up. If you open up the covers on your speakers, you can inspect for any obvious physical damage, and if you don't see any, my bet is that they'll live. Maybe one has to be replaced, but I doubt it. Either way - keep us updated and snap some pictures to upload if you do some visual inspection for anything obviously damaged. Best of luck.

Schroedinger's speakers.

Time to collapse the wave packet.

Sent from my XT1254