Analogue

Randy Gartner

Junior
Jan 12, 2011
Pennsylvania
randygartnersound.com
What is everyone doing with their old analogue gear? I donated some to our fire company for a tax deduction. But I have a Crest X4 that is being used as a work bench and APB Dynasonics that is in great shape but no one wants them. Maybe we could start a museum.

I've sold a lot of stuff lately, Amek Recall 40ch, Digico SD8, Mixwizard, lots of old insert gear and various "stuff".
It's very hard to come by someone who's looking for a complete package, I've had better luck with breaking things up into single items and offer them up for auctions one by one. Old FX units is still popular, noise gates and TC EQstations not so much.

We have an active FB group for used gear here in Norway, I've mostly been using that for auctions and Finn, our version of craigslist, for listing everything I offer at any given time.

Reactions: Randy Gartner
Some days I miss mixing on a big analog board with all of the outboard toys. I used to mix differently back then, in some ways more active - for instance often making EQ changes on the fly throughout a song (especially vocals), rolling the HF in and out on a long reverb as an effect. I interacted with the mix more, whereas now in the digital world I don't really do this as much because it is slower to get around on. I just dial everything in and am mostly a fader jockey for the rest of the show. In the future if we ever have virtual reality console surfaces, mine's gonna have an individual knob/fader for every single function :)

Randy, your best bet for selling your old consoles is probably to studio guys. Lots of people in that world are still looking for nice analog desks like your APB. Check out sites like Gearslutz classifieds.

I've sold off a couple of higher end Drawmer pieces and a Lexicon PCM60 that all went into a studio.
The rest of my Drawmer, TC and BSS outboard is only worth pennies on the dollar anymore for what was
a several hundred dollar and more piece of equipment so I'll just keep them around.

Depending on the mixer the case could be worth more than the mixer in it.

As for mixing a full band show, I had five music in the park type events this summer and a few other non music
productions. Got a live stream and radio broadcast event this coming week.

Hey Randy, which APB are you sitting on? I know some folks are specifically looking for those desks.

In general, analog is absolutely a "pennies on the dollar" commodity, and a buyers market. There's a couple large frame Midas or ATI desks that, if they come up for sale I'd consider getting, but in generally it's "pounds per dollar" on consoles, and "pennies per channel" for outboard.

The sad reality is that the used market price gap between an A&H GL2400 and a Midas Heritage 3000 is very, very small in comparison to what they cost new.

Hey Randy, which APB are you sitting on? I know some folks are specifically looking for those desks.

In general, analog is absolutely a "pennies on the dollar" commodity, and a buyers market. There's a couple large frame Midas or ATI desks that, if they come up for sale I'd consider getting, but in generally it's "pounds per dollar" on consoles, and "pennies per channel" for outboard.

The sad reality is that the used market price gap between an A&H GL2400 and a Midas Heritage 3000 is very, very small in comparison to what they cost new.
Brian,I have the 24 channel plus 4 stereo channel Pro Desk. I'm not looking to get even half of what I paid for it ( $ around $5,000 plus case $500). If I could get $1500 I would be happy.

Some days I miss mixing on a big analog board with all of the outboard toys. I used to mix differently back then, in some ways more active - for instance often making EQ changes on the fly throughout a song (especially vocals), rolling the HF in and out on a long reverb as an effect. I interacted with the mix more, whereas now in the digital world I don't really do this as much because it is slower to get around on. I just dial everything in and am mostly a fader jockey for the rest of the show. In the future if we ever have virtual reality console surfaces, mine's gonna have an individual knob/fader for every single function :)

Randy, your best bet for selling your old consoles is probably to studio guys. Lots of people in that world are still looking for nice analog desks like your APB. Check out sites like Gearslutz classifieds.
Hey Jeff.
Nils here from Norway.
I must say that I absolutely agree with you. Mixing on an analog console is much more fun. I think so anyway. For that reason I bought a 48 channel Soundcraft MH3 for my studio from a rental company who has gone over to digital consoles. And best of all, it cost me $1500, including 2 racks full of stuff including an M3000, SPX2000, D-TWO, three Drawmer DL241 dual compressors, four DBX 1231 eq's (dual31 band), three quad gates, three Furman power conditioners, lots of kables with Harting connectors and a splitt rack with 3x40 splitt, 2x100 meters of 20 channel multicore cable, one 70 meter 12 channel multicore return cable) And I am sure that more and more companies can offer great deals on analog consoles including lots of nice outboard stuff for a good price. The company I bought this stuff from is still dumping gear to me for a very good price. The other day I bought 18 condenser mics for about $500 from the same company, including a case and some cables. So, for all you people out there thinking about analog gear for your studio, now is the time to make some great deals I think.