Another ebay find...

Re: Another ebay find...

Actually not a bad price on an actual quality product... but the first line of the description..

"A Mackie in a QSC shell." Wow. What more could you ask for? That's like me saying my GL2400 is a Peavey in an A&H shell. :)

QSC Powerlight 3 Series (PL380) 8000Watt Amp
Maybe he as replaced the guts with a Mackie? Why would anybody say something like that?

It just makes you wonder----------------

Maybe he as replaced the guts with a Mackie? Why would anybody say something like that?

It just makes you wonder----------------

Because he thinks that Mackie is "industry standard" stuff, had never really heard of QSC before and is touting it as "as good as the good stuff".

Oh I understand completely that's what he was trying to say, Dick. Just makes you wonder sometimes how some people end up with things like a PL380 not even knowing what it is. So far my budget only allows for XTi's and the like, but hey, one day I might can get myself som Mackies. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR 2

Oh I understand completely that's what he was trying to say, Dick. Just makes you wonder sometimes how some people end up with things like a PL380 not even knowing what it is. So far my budget only allows for XTi's and the like, but hey, one day I might can get myself som Mackies. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR 2

A friend of mine goes around buying "broken mics", then takes them home, plugs them in and turns on the phantom power. They ALL work then.......

A fool and his money is soon parted....

The problem with there being so many dumbasses out there, is that it become hard to get real service support with some consumer gear... I had a problem with my DSL modem a few years back, and no amount of being told to unplug and reboot, by Duleep in Bangalore, was going to fix where the squirrels were chewing through my telephone wire.

JR

A fool and his money is soon parted....

The problem with there being so many dumbasses out there, is that it become hard to get real service support with some consumer gear... I had a problem with my DSL modem a few years back, and no amount of being told to unplug and reboot, by Duleep in Bangalore, was going to fix where the squirrels were chewing through my telephone wire.

JR

I had an eerily similar experience with the cable company a month ago... Internet goes dead... I reset and reboot to no avail. I then go into my cable box bios menu and get to the screen where it gives signal strength and other diagnostics... looks to me like somethings up and the feed to the house has been compromised somehow. I then spend the next hour on the phone being told that it "tests O.K. from their end, they can see my hardware etc" and that I need to power it down and reset it. I told them exactly what I was seeing on my end, and they persisted to follow their script, until they finally passed me along to someone who could schedule a tech to come to the house. Five minutes on-site, and the tech is up a ladder fixing the cable that the squirrels chewed through up on a utility pole down the alley. His words were along the lines of "they don't know what the hell they're doing at tech support"

A crazy world we live in...

I'm pretty sure my accounts with my cable co (internet only), cell phone co, and FedEx are flagged with "psycho customer." For the tech accounts I immediately ask to be transferred to 3rd tier support. And I keep insisting until they do. FedEx... they finally assigned an ombudsman to me, with a direct-to-desk phone number.

Most of the folks that participate and/or lurk here are smart enough to make sure things are plugged in, turned on, configured normally, etc. We know about self-diagnostic modes and use them. When we call for a tech, we need someone who knows more than we do. But we probably represent 5% or less of support calls...

I had an eerily similar experience with the cable company a month ago... Internet goes dead... I reset and reboot to no avail. I then go into my cable box bios menu and get to the screen where it gives signal strength and other diagnostics... looks to me like somethings up and the feed to the house has been compromised somehow. I then spend the next hour on the phone being told that it "tests O.K. from their end, they can see my hardware etc" and that I need to power it down and reset it. I told them exactly what I was seeing on my end, and they persisted to follow their script, until they finally passed me along to someone who could schedule a tech to come to the house. Five minutes on-site, and the tech is up a ladder fixing the cable that the squirrels chewed through up on a utility pole down the alley. His words were along the lines of "they don't know what the hell they're doing at tech support"

A few years ago we were having weird issues with our cable. After a number of calls we FINALLY got a real tech to come to the house.

At the box the signal was fine-but at the house it was quite low-causing the issues. They dug a new trench and buried a new cable and all has been fine since.

But the "office" said everything was "fine". NOT.

Sooner or later a tech has to show up on site to see what the real problem is.

Back in the day, my phone and those of several of my neighbors would go out during wet spells. The company said that everything was fine with their wiring. The problem turned out to be a pole so old that a good rain would water-log it and all the phones would "ring" into the ground. New pole, good service.

I'm pretty sure my accounts with my cable co (internet only), cell phone co, and FedEx are flagged with "psycho customer." For the tech accounts I immediately ask to be transferred to 3rd tier support. And I keep insisting until they do. FedEx... they finally assigned an ombudsman to me, with a direct-to-desk phone number.

Most of the folks that participate and/or lurk here are smart enough to make sure things are plugged in, turned on, configured normally, etc. We know about self-diagnostic modes and use them. When we call for a tech, we need someone who knows more than we do. But we probably represent 5% or less of support calls...

Yep, but the third-tier support people often get irked when they get transferred a problem that should have been solved at one of the earlier tiers. And the top-tier support staff is often pretty small, so word gets around about "repeat customers" that are a pain to deal with...

As an analogy, Think of the first tier support as the companies who provide for the club market, second tier support as the regional players, and third tier support as the big national companies. If you were Clair Brothers, how would you feel about dealing with the clueless club owners?

Actually that is a mostly honest mistake by the lines maintenance people. Their test equipment looks for an impedance discontinuity by measuring the return time for a pulse send down the line. The problem is that they can't discern a difference between the modem echo at 3,400 feet, and the chewed line at 3,300 feet from their switch.

Hopefully in the future they might increase the resolution of their line length measuring equipment so they can log the exact distance and automatically detect breaks occurring close to the final drop.

Honest mistake but still frustrating to the fraction of customers who are not dumbasses.

JR

Yep, but the third-tier support people often get irked when they get transferred a problem that should have been solved at one of the earlier tiers. And the top-tier support staff is often pretty small, so word gets around about "repeat customers" that are a pain to deal with...

As an analogy, Think of the first tier support as the companies who provide for the club market, second tier support as the regional players, and third tier support as the big national companies. If you were Clair Brothers, how would you feel about dealing with the clueless club owners?

I ask for escalation because tier 1 & 2 are waste of my time and theirs. They need to deal with the folks that forget to plug in the "wireless modem." By the time I'm on the phone with support, I've already gone through everything in the manual, on line, from forums, consulted a voodoo priestess in New Orleans... and probably have a pretty good hypothesis as to what the problem might be.

I only get cranky when they don't transfer me when it is plainly apparent that my issues extend beyond the script they must use.