Another Wireless Thread

Jason Misterka

Sophomore
Mar 10, 2011
It's getting to be the slower season and I have time to think about things again. Looking back at my long summer and our networking frustrations with Dante, Lake, Consoles, other processors, etc.

This gets discussed from time to time, though I've seen some newer products out there that seem interesting and have wider applications for the general networking market so the cost per unit decreases a bit.

Interested to know if anyone has ever used one of these:
TP-LINK TL-WA7510N 5GHz Wireless N High Power Outdoor Access Point Up to 150Mbps/ 15dBi Antenna/ Passive POE/ 15KV ESD - Newegg.com

Things I think I would like:

- 5ghz wireless N access point

- price

- POE means one cable up a mic stand or ultimate stand

- weatherproof so I don't have to include it in my tarp scheme at festivals

Things that may be issues:

- my older Lake tablets will need to be retired (no wireless N or 5G) or maybe I can add some kind of USB dongle with velcro that will fix that. Anyone have any suggestions? The TP-Link version would probably be TP-LINK TL-WDN3200 N600 Wireless Dual Band Adapter IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n USB 2.0 Up to 300+300Mbps Wireless Data Rates WPA2 - Newegg.com though I don't know if there is a better one with more strength

- directionality may not always be preferred. At least in the arenas we work, putting this at FOH would typically be most convenient location of the access point though side of stage could be arranged. Ideally I think the POE connection would be at FOH directly after the switch and only feeding this unit.

We already have a switch and router at all of our consoles, but it would be nice to be able to turn off all of our wireless except for this and have one access point for all devices. Mostly we run an iPod with the console and a Lake table for the processors. I would also like to have my computer with Smaart on the network so I can link it with Lake, though that would probably be a wired connection.

Whatcha think?
Jason