Anybody got any favorite VHF microphone systems?

brian maddox

Senior
Jan 13, 2011
frederick, md
www.fcfchurch.com
Okay, I need to source a few wireless systems for various breakout rooms for our church. We've already filled the 2.4Ghz spectrum with line6 stuff and the number of UHF systems I'm using is pretty significant as well.

lately I've been wondering if I should be considering some of the older VHF solutions. That space is actually less crowded. And I know there were some pretty decent systems made back in the day.

So. Anybody got a favorite VHF system , new or old, that you've had good luck with? Keep in mind, for this application, reliable and rugged (and cheap) will trump sound quality by a large margin. I'm needing both beltpacks and Handhelds.

Suggestions?

Re: Anybody got any favorite VHF microphone systems?

At my school, they use more of the AT freeway 200 then is reasonable but for some reason seem to work. At $100 for a channel, probably worth a try.

The problem with wireless gear is that over time it will become less reliable as components drift in their specs with age. On top of that, there have been huge improvements in technology over the years. An expensive piece from 10 years ago probably won't be any more reliable than a cheap piece you can get today.

The problem with wireless gear is that over time it will become less reliable as components drift in their specs with age. On top of that, there have been huge improvements in technology over the years. An expensive piece from 10 years ago probably won't be any more reliable than a cheap piece you can get today.

this actually occurred to me, so it's nice to hear someone confirm it. still, some seem to last better than others. i've got a VERY cheap samson wireless rig on my guitar that i've used since the late 80's that simply refuses to let me down.

Okay, I need to source a few wireless systems for various breakout rooms for our church. We've already filled the 2.4Ghz spectrum with line6 stuff and the number of UHF systems I'm using is pretty significant as well.

lately I've been wondering if I should be considering some of the older VHF solutions. That space is actually less crowded. And I know there were some pretty decent systems made back in the day.

So. Anybody got a favorite VHF system , new or old, that you've had good luck with? Keep in mind, for this application, reliable and rugged (and cheap) will trump sound quality by a large margin. I'm needing both beltpacks and Handhelds.

Suggestions?

I have about 5 channels of shure sc series for those "one liner" characters in plays that NEED to have a mic per the director. They came out of an install and are a little beat up, but still functional. The packs have 8 selectable channels and are compatible with all the usual shure headset and lav mics. The audio quality is perfectly usable with good amount of headroom. Just make sure you buy some rechargeable 9 volts.

I have a Samson series IV receiver with a handheld transmitter and EV 757 head that just won't quit. Not as much gain out of the receiver as the newer units out there, but it has never let me down. You might find one on the used market for not much money. The handheld uses 9v batteries which I forget to have on hand.

Doug

+1 to the Shure SC or LX series. They are cheap to find on Ebay and come in different, standard 58, Beta 58, 86 and 87. They are super reliable too, and you can change the capsules.