Anybody heard of a passive version of the ev xw12?

Hey I'm hoping someone from ev cruises here and see, or if someone is in the know. I was visiting my local large sound co talking with one of the head guys and I was trying to talk him into swapping my xw's for his rat wedges... He asked why I didn't get an outboard passive crossover for the xw's and thought at one point ev had a passive version. Has anyone heard of this before.... Would it be possible to use the Phoenix passive crossovers in them... Just looking for options other than biamping.
Thanks
Sp

Re: Anybody heard of a passive version of the ev xw12?

Hey I'm hoping someone from ev cruises here and see, or if someone is in the know. I was visiting my local large sound co talking with one of the head guys and I was trying to talk him into swapping my xw's for his rat wedges... He asked why I didn't get an outboard passive crossover for the xw's and thought at one point ev had a passive version. Has anyone heard of this before.... Would it be possible to use the Phoenix passive crossovers in them... Just looking for options other than biamping.
Thanks
Sp

Any chance he had it mixed up with the ev t221m? They look kinda similar.

You might be right Tom, I'm having a hard time finding those on the ev site too.... Thanks for the info. Anybody ever hear the t221m?

A guy near me has them. They're a 12+1" box with an ev DH3 high driver, so you have roughly the horsepower of an EV MI grade box like the SX300 or FORCE. You can get them pretty loud and stable with some Eq, but I wouldn't class them with a Clair 12am, microwedge, or similar 12+2" "pro" wedge

Thanks
Sp

I'm sure you could. The box has an ND6 and a DL12 derivative. Just browse their catalog for something that has similar components -don't forget the install boxes either, many of those have passive units.
Will it sound the same? Probably not.
I'm sure you could source a collection of different crossovers and audition which one gets you closest to the sound you want then any fine-tuning can be done with your EQ.

I however would just get a modern DSP amp (ch1 LF, ch2 HF) and attempt to mimic the processor settings in it instead. One lightweight device, one cable, 1 to 4 speakers. Even simpler and easier than lugging a box of external passive crossovers around too and you'll have to have an amp no matter what method you use!
Also you can set limits, crossover points, relative passband levels and a starting EQ curve in ways that are very difficult with a passive crossover
(I am assuming that your not happy with having to bring a processed amp rack every time you need just a couple wedges?)

(I am assuming that your not happy with having to bring a processed amp rack every time you need just a couple wedges?)

Kind of a mix of that statement... I have 6 XW12, 6 XW15 - that normally covers an A stage and a B stage. Problem #1 is I have 8 bi-amp mixes of power on a stage with the proper processing and power... B stage, I have 4 channels of power and no processing, well crown xls2500's. I really don't want to have to buy another processor and another couple amps to put bi-amp Xw's on a b stage... I have some yorkville elite 401M's, but they are getting long in the tooth and have a 1" horn that is not stable at high volumes - keeps me fending the feedback gods off all night.

Tom Manchester You can get them pretty loud and stable with some Eq said:
Tom is absolutely correct - 5 - 6 years ago I had a dozen T221m and needed to upgrade - A/B'd with the original Microwedges....sold them all and replaced with MWs.
They are a nice sounding passive 12x1 , but not to be confused with the next tier up.

This is one of the better small wedges out there. Using the proper settings, OR upgrading to FIR filters will make these shine. I wouldn't stick a crappy passive crossover in there. Even Nexo, which offers a passive crossover, still has active electronics on the front end just to get it sounding good.

Tom is absolutely correct - 5 - 6 years ago I had a dozen T221m and needed to upgrade - A/B'd with the original Microwedges....sold them all and replaced with MWs.
They are a nice sounding passive 12x1 , but not to be confused with the next tier up.

Well ….. actually the T221M used a DH2T compression driver (2” diaphragm) not the little DH3, and a 400W 12”. It was passive or active, but required you to remove the input panel to change it from passive to active. It certainly performed more like a professional monitor than a MI monitor… but not as good as something with a 3” diaphragm compression driver eg. MWs.

Well ….. actually the T221M used a DH2T compression driver (2” diaphragm) not the little DH3, and a 400W 12”. It was passive or active, but required you to remove the input panel to change it from passive to active. It certainly performed more like a professional monitor than a MI monitor… but not as good as something with a 3” diaphragm compression driver eg. MWs.
Maybe should have been more clear - "1" exit " is the T221m.
MW are a much easier sell in the advance.

Last edited: