Anyone recognize this woofer?

drew gandy

Junior
Jul 17, 2011
Chicago
Old square magnet woof woof. I'm curious what it is (I can't remember where it came from) and perhaps if anyone is interested in owning it.

c9626be3-ab10-4efc-84ea-caf093a3b101.jpg

http://avequipment.postach.io/post/15-woofer-not-sure-what-it-is

"67" is Eminence's code. They were about the only ones using those square magnets at the time (code dates to 40th week of 1982). Could have come from just about any brand of cabinet - they supplied a lot of companies.

Nothing too special, I'm afraid.

Dave

"67" is Eminence's code. They were about the only ones using those square magnets at the time (code dates to 40th week of 1982). Could have come from just about any brand of cabinet - they supplied a lot of companies.

Nothing too special, I'm afraid.

Dave
Dave,

Good info. Prior to that, CTS provided OEM square magnet speakers to lots of companies. In 1966, Bob Gault founded Eminence after working as an engineer for Magnavox and CTS (Chicago Telephone Supply), so for some time both CTS and Eminence built square magnet speakers.

Gault started Eminence hoping to build three 18″ speakers per day, based on a commitment from Ampeg’s Everett Hull. Under the leadership of Gault and most recently his son, Rob, the company’s capacity grew to over 10,000 speakers per day, employing over 240 people by 1997.

Gault was the president of Eminence from the company’s inception until 1992.

Art

Last edited:
Gault started Eminence hoping to build three 18″ speakers per day, based on a commitment from Ampeg’s Everett Hull.

If the date code on Drew's speaker had been older, I would have thought of Ampeg - and Orange (apparently, a lot of export cabs shipped empty, to be loaded by the country of destination's distributor).

I didn't mean to imply past tense in my post - Eminence STILL provides LOTS of speakers to LOTS of manufacturers. I had the pleasure of touring their factory and was most impressed by the intense pride exhibited by everyone who was working there.

Dave

That was the 54oz magnet version. There were also a lot of 40oz versions (smaller magnets)

If I remember the 54oz version typically handled around 100 watts and the 40oz around 70 watts.

I guess it's a run of the mill Eminence driver!

Thanks for the replies, especially the codes. I usually recognize the newer eminence tags but this was old enough that I had no idea. So, was the square magnet easier to manufacture? (at the time)

I've had a fair amount of of re-organization in the shop lately and have unearthed a few other things. Anyone that might want something AV related is encouraged to check out the blog posts at avequipment.postach.io from time to time.
For anything agricultural or engine oriented, parts.postach.io
Sorry for the commercial. I'm just trying to move some things along to those that might be able to use them.

I So, was the square magnet easier to manufacture? (at the time)

I've had a fair amount of of re-organization in the shop lately and have unearthed a few other things.
Drew,

The square magnets allowed a straight shear to be used for the backplate, an easier to maintain tool than a large round punch, and less scrap to deal with. Less efficient magnetically, between the lower flux density and round wound coils the old CTS/early Eminence were about 3 dB less sensitive than EV or JBL speakers. They were more than 3 dB cheaper ;^).

After clearing out the shop after 20 years in preparation for next week's move, scrapped over a ton of metals and obsolete speaker cabinets...
Good luck with your sales!

Art