Anyone used the new Yorkville Paraline products?

Caleb Dueck

Junior
Jan 11, 2011
Montana
I just noticed the new Paraline line from Yorkville. Looks like a 'line array on a stick', er vertical array, using paraline tech from Danley. Top and sub, both have smaller drivers. The price point is pretty low. Anyone used or even heard these?

Re: Anyone used the new Yorkville Paraline products?

Definitely look interesting. Though the price for 2 subs & 2 tops per side = roughly $14,500.

A little rich for my blood, but I might rent the setup and see what it's about...

If the specs on those subs are real, they are going to be popular.

This is a bit of a re-post of some comments I posted elsewhere in reply to a thread.

I have used the PSA1 system (4 tops and 4 subs) and directly compared them against QSC KLA and DVA T4, as well as against some powered trap boxes such as the Mackie HD1531.

To be honest, I was quite disappointed.

The good:
Excellent consistent coverage within the pattern (as expected given the Danley licensed tech)
Simple controls
Relatively light weight
Looks good on paper (paraline etc etc)

The not so good:
Sonically not on par with other products in that pricerange. KLA, T4, and even HD1531(though HD1531 is not apples to apples) sound considerably better IMHO. In particular, the midrange near the box crossover point just does not sound right, and is not really "correctable" with EQ. I never did get the rig where I wanted it. With a bit of low-midbass boost and a few other EQ tweaks it was improved, but never satisfying for a product at that price point.

I wish I had fired up Smaart, but alas did not have time to do so.

Additionally, the rigging and pole mounting implementation worries me a bit. It did not feel very secure, and with 2 tops mounted on a tripod it felt tippy, so much so that I switched to some larger Manfrotto crank stands.

The subs were also fairly uninspiring, despite the listed specs they do not seem to go very low, and are a bit muddy in their top end range, though for their quite compact size they are ok performers.

Apparently Yorkville does not use the same BMS HF driver as used in their VTC Paraline boxes, and this was evident, as having used that better BMS driver in other designs I initially expected more from the cab until I discovered this.....

I should back up a bit and say this - they are not terrible products. You could put on a respectable sounding show with these.

However, in my own opinion, this is a competitive marketplace and I believe there are quite a few other products on the market that are worth considering before dropping nearly 15K into a 2 over 2 per side rig of these.

I should also note that I tried this system in 2 different listening environments and circumstances, so my opinions are not simply the result of a one-off bad room experience.

Take that with a grain of salt, but my overall impression was.... "for that price......meh....."
This is a shame, Yorkville is local to me and I like to support North American companies such as them when possible.

Jeff, what did you think of the KLA and the subs?

The KLA was pretty good, sonically it did not blow me away (I thought the T4 was slightly better in the vocal range, and it's not in the league of premium pro boxes) but was very respectable, and would make IMHO a much better rig for the types of gigs a little system like this is intended for. I'd be quite content to mix an appropriately sized show on a KLA rig. It also has a much better rigging system than the Yorkie product.

I did not get a chance to listen to the KLA sub, but as far as I'm aware it should pretty much be a KW sub plus flyware. Second hand reports from folks I know who have used it have been positive.

The KLA was pretty good, sonically it did not blow me away (I thought the T4 was slightly better in the vocal range, and it's not in the league of premium pro boxes) but was very respectable, and would make IMHO a much better rig for the types of gigs a little system like this is intended for. I'd be quite content to mix an appropriately sized show on a KLA rig. It also has a much better rigging system than the Yorkie product.

I did not get a chance to listen to the KLA sub, but as far as I'm aware it should pretty much be a KW sub plus flyware. Second hand reports from folks I know who have used it have been positive.

We heard the KLA as well, separate time. Overall, it was better than the basic K/KW, but not 'Pro'. Since we had 2 on a stick, we pulled out a TT25A, since they are meant for similar applications, price, dispersion, etc. The TT25A ended our look at the KLA. The sub is basically a KW181, yes, with the same strengths/weaknesses (I prefer UCS1PB's in multiples, in a center cluster where possible, or other horn subs). As a whole, the KLA system sounded like a good DSP with external processing would have helped it a bit. Glad to hear how it compares to T4.

So far, a properly powered/processed JFL rig is the best vertical array I have heard.

We heard the KLA as well, separate time. Overall, it was better than the basic K/KW, but not 'Pro'. Since we had 2 on a stick, we pulled out a TT25A, since they are meant for similar applications, price, dispersion, etc. The TT25A ended our look at the KLA. The sub is basically a KW181, yes, with the same strengths/weaknesses (I prefer UCS1PB's in multiples, in a center cluster where possible, or other horn subs). As a whole, the KLA system sounded like a good DSP with external processing would have helped it a bit. Glad to hear how it compares to T4.

So far, a properly powered/processed JFL rig is the best vertical array I have heard.