ATA/Wood pull behind rack

Philip Roberts

Sophomore
Jan 12, 2011
Southwest Michigan
Does any one know of an off the shelf ATA style rack similar to the GRR-4L or SKB 1SKB-R4W

I'm looking for a 4U rack that has "suit case" style wheels and a extendable pull handle for a wireless 4 pack.

I've had a GRR-4L and after a few years the latches are not holding well. I looks like the SKB is a bit better built but it's hard to know.

Thanks

Philip

Re: ATA/Wood pull behind rack

Does any one know of an off the shelf ATA style rack similar to the GRR-4L or SKB 1SKB-R4W

I'm looking for a 4U rack that has "suit case" style wheels and a extendable pull handle for a wireless 4 pack.

I've had a GRR-4L and after a few years the latches are not holding well. I looks like the SKB is a bit better built but it's hard to know.

Thanks

Philip

I see a lot of small rack bags or light wood racks packed into Pelican cases. IEM rigs for fly dates, etc.

Re: ATA/Wood pull behind rack

My experience with RoadCase USA was with this light duty drawer case: http://www.roadcasesusa.com/6-drawer-convertible-table-top-ata-work-case-1-4-ply-light-duty/

Now, it does clearly say in the description that the drawers are corrugated cardboard, and it's a light duty case. But the low resolution images make it look a LOT better than it actually is. It's an EXTREMELY light duty case. The drawers are nothing more than cardboard boxes. They are supported on the sides by a piece of angle iron. Don't try to put much weight inside. The 'work surface' leg is nothing more than a thin piece of plywood. I wouldn't trust ANY weight on the tabletop surface. The inside is unfinished, raw wood with cheap rivets. The chrome of the corners and latches has quickly tarnished. The chrome for the table latch, however, remained shiny. At $250 with the recessed hardware, I wasn't happy with the value of my purchase at all. The 'reviews' that scroll along the page seem quite misleading to me. I couldn't imagine having 'cables and snakes' inside this sort of box and having it last very long.

I'm not sure that their entire line is built that way, but by comparison, look at an AudioPyle tool case: http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/DR002H-T/DR002H-T_cutsheet.shtml

Yes, the price is higher, at $370. But for that, you get REAL drawers, with glides. Quality latches, quality wheels. The inside of the drawers are nicely lined with a rubberized material. The work surface is actually stable. I use it to hold my FOH mixer and have no concerns that it's going to come crashing down.

Again, I can't compare against their higher end products, but my experience with this product tells me that they aren't focused always on top quality. At least with EWI, my experience with their cases has always been the same. They build great quality stuff, and you can get high as a kite smelling the glue when they first ship them to you. I can't imagine building them with glue that smelly would be legal in the USA. :)