Atomic 3000 DMX 120V, What connector would you put on?

Ian Coughlin

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
New York
www.dtgentertainment.com
So I've added a Martin Atomic 3000 to my lighting arsenal and it comes with "bare tails". From the Manual it states;

"The auto-ranging power supply automatically adjusts to AC power from 100-120 and 200-240 volts nominal at 50/60 Hz. However, a MAX-7 lamp must be installed at 100-120 V and a MAX-15 lamp for must be installed at 200-240 V. The current required by the Atomic 3000 varies according to lamp type, power mode, and usage. To avoid overload, allow one 16 or 20 amp branch circuit per fixture to operate the MAX-15 model at full power. Two fixtures may be placed on a 16 amp branch circuit if they are operated in low power mode or use the MAX-7 lamp."

Is this implying that the MAX-7 lamp only operates at 1500W/750W HIGH/LOW? If not and it is rated at a full 3000W, apply the W/V=A gives us a 25A draw...

After dealing with these for a while and knowing from experience, putting two on a 20A circuit doesn't work to full potential IMO. Last job I had two of these out on one 20A circuit, when I would hit the blinder for more than 5 seconds the lights would start to dim out. This would lead me to believe that they are pulling more than 1500W each... Or I had terrible power. Although it was a brand new building and electric service, it all metered correctly under no load.

I've seen these with 5-15 and 5-20R edisons and occasionally a twist. Ideally I would prefer PowerCon.

So, what connector do I put on this fixture?

Re: Atomic 3000 DMX 120V, What connector would you put on?

Might have answered half my question by reading thru the rest of the manual...

"In 3- and 4-channel DMX mode, the intensity of the blinder effect is controllable on channel 1. Lamp power is electronically regulated to prevent the lamp from overheating. The intensity falls as power is reduced."

Re: Atomic 3000 DMX 120V, What connector would you put on?

Use what the rest of your 120v lights use.

Do I need to explain how and why this is bad advice/response?

Current draw varies fixture to fixture (ex. A 120V LED moon flower will draw ¼ of what a 120V 250W moving head would).

You can find your current draw by dividing the wattage by voltage supplied= Current (measured in amps).

I don’t mean to sound rude, you probably just wrote a quick response. I just wouldn’t want any others reading this and thinking it was ok to put a Edison 5-15 with 16ga Zip Cord on a 3000W strobe light.