Audio Files - best quality

Re: Audio Files - best quality

Is that kind of like the device that makes hamburger back into steak?

I think most of these things come from Suit Preference, not Customer Preference.

While suits make the decisions, the customers ratify the choices by buying, or listening, or whatever. If the suits make serial bad decisions the consumers vote them off the island.

One thing I had to learn when I was designing products at Peavey. It wasn't about what I would like or want, but what the customers liked and wanted. After I learned that simple calculus I designed more successful products. Mainly because I was not even remotely typical of a peavey customer.

Marketing is more about listening than talking.

JR

Kind of like what's happening to terrestrial radio right now?

Not sure exactly what that is... Normal off air AM, and FM and TV? I listen to terrestrial FM radio 1 day a week in my car when I drive to the big city for my basketball games and groceries.

Coincidentally tonight I happen to be watching terrestrial TV because the local ABC affiliate never gave me permission to watch east coast and west coast feeds. on satellite. So exactly 7 times a year, or less, I watch the NBA finals off air. I suspect within a few more years this will all be delivered via some form of WWW connections. BTW they were wrong to not allow me to get the satellite service. Off air TV even digital kinda sucks (unless I put up a mast and big antenna). If I get the rabbit ears just right I can see the heat winning one, but it's their turn tonight.

I wouldn't be surprised to see TV and FM bandwidth repurposed for more profitable use, but maybe not in my lifetime. TV and newspapers are protected as modern day town criers, while they may have outlived their utility. I see this as a technology evolution not bad management.

Back to the theme of suits decisions and customer's votes, a better example of a suit's desire that the consumers don't embrace is ESPN's 3D service... I suspect multiple suits thought it a good idea. Too bad multiple customers did not buy in. ESPN/Disney is shutting it down, bummer.

JR

Last edited:

Not sure exactly what that is... Normal off air AM, and FM and TV? I listen to terrestrial FM radio 1 day a week in my car when I drive to the big city for my basketball games and groceries.

Coincidentally tonight I happen to be watching terrestrial TV because the local ABC affiliate never gave me permission to watch east coast and west coast feeds. on satellite. So exactly 7 times a year, or less, I watch the NBA finals off air. I suspect within a few more years this will all be delivered via some form of WWW connections. BTW they were wrong to not allow me to get the satellite service. Off air TV even digital kinda sucks (unless I put up a mast and big antenna). If I get the rabbit ears just right I can see the heat winning one, but it's their turn tonight.

I wouldn't be surprised to see TV and FM bandwidth repurposed for more profitable use, but maybe not in my lifetime. TV and newspapers are protected as modern day town criers, while they may have outlived their utility. I see this as a technology evolution not bad management.

Back to the theme of suits decisions and customer's votes, a better example of a suit's desire that the consumers don't embrace is ESPN's 3D service... I suspect multiple suits thought it a good idea. Too bad multiple customers did not buy in. ESPN/Disney is shutting it down, bummer.

JR

I didn't mention TV. But since you've brought it up, my experience is that broadcast HD via a digital antenna can be quite good, certainly better than the same program though a cable system. But I am within a reasonable distance from the broadcast towers, I don't know how much worse it gets for people on the fringes of the reception area.

When The Suits lowered terrestrial radio to the LCD, an LCD audience is what they got. Doing a radio-sponsored show is the worst, you'll get an audience that looks like every trailer park and meth lab in the county must be vacated tonight. I think it's a fallacy to assume that the prevalence of extremely compressed audio today is the result of customer preference. I don't think that people have ever been given a choice.

I didn't mention TV. But since you've brought it up, my experience is that broadcast HD via a digital antenna can be quite good, certainly better than the same program though a cable system. But I am within a reasonable distance from the broadcast towers, I don't know how much worse it gets for people on the fringes of the reception area.
I am about 40 miles from the transmitter towers, unfortunately there are some mountains in the way between them and my roof mounted antenna.
Without the roof mounted antenna and a signal amplifier, no reception is possible. With it, reception and audio and video quality can be excellent, but is affected by wind gusts over about 25 mph (frequent), and audio cuts in and out completely before the picture starts to pixilate and freeze, then cut out. The picture seldom cuts out completely.
I leave on the sub titles when available, as they cut out after the audio, so you can read what people say (sometimes) when the audio cuts out.

The better audio and video quality of the digital transmission is almost completely negated by the go/no go reception, analog used to suffer from some "snow" and hiss when really windy, but nothing ever would cut out.

Wow, I just can't understand you hill dwellers :). I've been on flat land my whole life (not too far from the beach). I haven't had any form of cable for most of my life. It's a huge rip off. You get so many channels of infomercials and the rest are mostly repeats. I can get that for free. The few funny new shows can be had online once a year when it's raining outside.

DTV is crystal clear and antennas are coolio. I've always liked RF and having an antenna on my house makes me smile. My wife thinks it's redneck.

I am about 40 miles from the transmitter towers, unfortunately there are some mountains in the way between them and my roof mounted antenna.
Without the roof mounted antenna and a signal amplifier, no reception is possible. With it, reception and audio and video quality can be excellent, but is affected by wind gusts over about 25 mph (frequent), and audio cuts in and out completely before the picture starts to pixilate and freeze, then cut out. The picture seldom cuts out completely.
I leave on the sub titles when available, as they cut out after the audio, so you can read what people say (sometimes) when the audio cuts out.

The better audio and video quality of the digital transmission is almost completely negated by the go/no go reception, analog used to suffer from some "snow" and hiss when really windy, but nothing ever would cut out.

While this is pretty much a (my) personal problem, between me and the local ABC affiliate, I happen to only be 25 miles or so from their tower, i also happen to be at the bottom of small hill directly in the path between me and that tower. I expect I could get great reception with a roof antenna. When I bought this house a few decades ago there was a roof mast with a motor so i could aim at different cities. For now I don't plan to mount a roof antenna to watch the NBA finals every year (they usually aren't that competitive). But this year looks like a contest.
When The Suits lowered terrestrial radio to the LCD, an LCD audience is what they got. Doing a radio-sponsored show is the worst, you'll get an audience that looks like every trailer park and meth lab in the county must be vacated tonight. I think it's a fallacy to assume that the prevalence of extremely compressed audio today is the result of customer preference. I don't think that people have ever been given a choice.
We basically disagree between cause and effect... Did the suits target meth heads, or did that become their demographic that they need to satisfy. I suspect the latter, from decades in the trenches trying to front run (guess) what customers want.

I recall some choice in some markets. IIRC NPR used to run noticeably lower nominal audio levels, while their programs were still compressed. back when I lived in the NYC area there was a mostly classical station (WPAT?) that delivered some actual dynamic range. If a station turned off their compressors and gained market share, they'd leave them off, but with modern music so compressed, I don't know how we could even tell the difference.

For an interesting news item about terrestrial radio, some companies are buying up old school radio stations to lock in their access to content, as the music industry evolves further toward web based distribution. Another almost related news tidbit. Fleetwood Mac just negotiated a separate royalty from clear channel for playing their music. Clear channel has signed similar deals with a few other labels, so that looks like the future of how artists monetize their music. That industry has been seriously disrupted by technology and the suits are pedaling as hard as they can to keep up with the change.

JR

[edit-] for TMI, last night during a heavy rain downpour I lost the satellite, so switched back to my digital receiver that was still on after the basketball game... So while satellite was completely blocked by the rain, i still got a mediocre digital TV signal. Too bad Kimmel wasn't worth watching.[end edit]

Last edited:

Another almost related news tidbit. Fleetwood Mac just negotiated a separate royalty from clear channel for playing their music. Clear channel has signed similar deals with a few other labels, so that looks like the future of how artists monetize their music. That industry has been seriously disrupted by technology and the suits are pedaling as hard as they can to keep up with the change.

That is fairly interesting and at the same time a bit worrying, thousands of labels and thousands of networks and independents, that is a few million contracts ;)~;-)~:wink:
Maybe it would be better for everyone if iTunes set up a global system for public performance royalties :twisted:

That is fairly interesting and at the same time a bit worrying, thousands of labels and thousands of networks and independents, that is a few million contracts ;)~;-)~:wink:
Maybe it would be better for everyone if iTunes set up a global system for public performance royalties :twisted:

Apple is moving into web radio if I hear correctly. I suspect they would love to get their fingers into everything. The old guard is old but not dead so they are probably in the middle of the new discussions too. Interesting times but the recording business barely recovered from the technology shift created by cassettes, before they had to hop again to deal with file sharing. My crystal ball is blank regarding how this all ends up, but economic theory suggests that the people creating the new music must be compensated, or the new music will dry up.

JR

My crystal ball is blank regarding how this all ends up, but economic theory suggests that the people creating the new music must be compensated, or the new music will dry up.

Maybe not, band used to be touring to make money, then when the record industry was really making big money, the bands were touring to promote record sales, and lately they have been touring to make money again.
Nowadays, if you are hot on iTunes, Spotify, Wimp (Norwegian) etc. you get booked for festivals and can do quite well without seeing much royalty money.
It is funny how the music industry has survived for fourty years since the introduction of the Compact Cassette, and even the movie industry have managed to keep their heads above water for thirty years of video tape machines. Will the next audio format bring on the Apocalypse? I doubt it. Will the next audio format alter the way we enjoy music? Nah, we couldn't care less, it is just dressing and make-up, the inner beauty of the music is what ultimately counts. I think.