Audiologist near Asheville, NC?

Re: Audiologist near Asheville, NC?

Hi Y'all,

Anybody know a good audiologist near Asheville, NC?

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Weogo, hopefully you've found an audiologist by now.

This link is not a substitute for a proper hearing test and analysis, but my girlfriend sent me this a couple of months ago - when my left ear revolted, and replaced intelligibility with ringing and hypersensitivity to even moderate sound levels - and it does a good job of tracking hearing loss by frequencies in each ear.
Use headphones to take the test, since you can't get the baseline quiet enough if you're using the computer speakers.

Take an Online Hearing Test | Online Hearing Test

Hi John,

Thanks for the link, I haven't done that test in years.
I'll see if I can dig up a copy of the old screenshot and do a comparison.

I did find an Audiologist here, who is working with a a number of local musicians.
Have an appointment next week.
His dad used to have a recording studio, and it sounds like he has a clue.

Weogo, hopefully you've found an audiologist by now.

This link is not a substitute for a proper hearing test and analysis, but my girlfriend sent me this a couple of months ago - when my left ear revolted, and replaced intelligibility with ringing and hypersensitivity to even moderate sound levels - and it does a good job of tracking hearing loss by frequencies in each ear.
Use headphones to take the test, since you can't get the baseline quiet enough if you're using the computer speakers.

Take an Online Hearing Test | Online Hearing Test

So,

As an ENT physician I am just curious to ask what specific things you are looking for in an audiologist? Someone who will do more extended bandwidth testing (standard audiogram is 250hz to 8khz at 1 octave intervals), or higher resolution with regards to the number of frequencies tested, or more detail regarding the absolute threshold at any given frequency (usually I would expect +/- 5 db to be inconsequential on an audiogram)?

I am just curious. I would find it interesting to have an audiogram from 60hz to 16khz at fairly narrow frequency intervals. I am honestly not sure to what frequency extremes most audiology equipment is calibrated? Or are you just looking for someone who "gets it" in terms of how valuable the nuance and accuracy of your hearing are to you for your work.

Curious,
Loren Jones

Hi John,

I did find an Audiologist here, who is working with a a number of local musicians.

Hi John,

You bet, Weogo.

Here in Athens, we're fortunate to have a good musicians support resource, Nuci's Space, and they provide audiologist tests for musos, plus a decent discount for custom fit plugs.