B&C ME464

I'm thinking dual 15" or 4x 12" "Inspired by EAW QX5".

I'd really love a pair of dual 15". Perfect height for throwing on top of a dual 18". Easy and cost efficient to build.
Maybe we should look into a community design and make a "Soundforums 2x15" DIY"?
I'd pass on an "inspired by QX5"; it's a showcase of FIR processing, not pattern control or driver loading. It sounds amazing - if you stand at the right spot, and don't need strong low-mids at distance.

A dual 14" or 15" version "PM70" (70x55), MTM configuration, would be awesome. Take the strengths of the PM60, drop the low frequency cut off, lower the vertical pattern control limit, maybe an extra dB of output, and go.

I'm thinking dual 15" or 4x 12" "Inspired by EAW QX5".

I'd really love a pair of dual 15". Perfect height for throwing on top of a dual 18". Easy and cost efficient to build.
Maybe we should look into a community design and make a "Soundforums 2x15" DIY"?
Hi,
I see two problems:
a) 2x 15" direct radiating from let´s say from 80 to 500 Hz will never get loud enough for the 464, my own experiments showed, that the 462 can keep up with two hornloaded 12MH32, so we are talking about 140dB and above for the mid section
b) the directivity performance of the ME464 in the top octave,
since the advent of line arrays people are expecting good HF dispersion

Uwe. I agree with you that a 2x15" would have it's limitations. However, it would be fairly easy to build (unless we make the low section horn loaded) and probably offer a huge amount of sound quality/SPL with the right processing/amplifier combination compared to the amount of money invested.

I've been playing with a pair of dual 15"/horn lately, don't have horn of this quality, but still it sounds pretty good and get's pretty loud while still sounding good.

Uwe. I agree with you that a 2x15" would have it's limitations. However, it would be fairly easy to build (unless we make the low section horn loaded) and probably offer a huge amount of sound quality/SPL with the right processing/amplifier combination compared to the amount of money invested.

I've been playing with a pair of dual 15"/horn lately, don't have horn of this quality, but still it sounds pretty good and get's pretty loud while still sounding good.
4x 12" slightly angled in to keep the box width at 60cm sounds like a better match for me and is also not too difficult to build.
For 2x 15" direct radiating I really don´t want the crossover at 500Hz, there will be no matching horizontal directivity. At least one needs to build some sort of wave guide for the 15"s to lower the baffle step see e.g. Limmer 085.

And Caleb mentioned throw, which IMO is achieved by hornloading or enough radiating area.

Reactions: Helge A. Bentsen
4x 12" slightly angled in to keep the box width at 60cm sounds like a better match for me and is also not too difficult to build.
For 2x 15" direct radiating I really don´t want the crossover at 500Hz, there will be no matching horizontal directivity. At least one needs to build some sort of wave guide for the 15"s to lower the baffle step see e.g. Limmer 085.

And Caleb mentioned throw, which IMO is achieved by hornloading or enough radiating area.
Is there a commercially available 15" waveguide that could do this or would one have to construct one?
I have nothing against the idea of a 4x12" if the form factor is right :)

I think an acoustically loaded 2x14 or 2x15 is a much better option than 4x12 or direct radiating 2x15. If you're going to angle them a little anyway, you might as well load them.

I happen to have some spare RCF MB15H401 around. Any idea if they would work with Limmer 085?
No idea about the RCF drivers, but don´t think these wave guides are critical.
I would use 15NW76, because one can build pretty small enclosure, something like 90-100l for two drivers.
Regarding US company making horns.
DDS horns have a single 15" horn which looks like the perfect fit: DVB 15N.

But you guys realize, that we are talking about american fridge sized speakers Meyer Sound would be proud of :)

No idea about the RCF drivers, but don´t think these wave guides are critical.
I would use 15NW76, because one can build pretty small enclosure, something like 90-100l for two drivers.
Regarding US company making horns.
DDS horns have a single 15" horn which looks like the perfect fit: DVB 15N.

But you guys realize, that we are talking about american fridge sized speakers Meyer Sound would be proud of :)
You remember the poster from the 1998 Godzilla movie? SIZE MATTERS ;)

But in all seriousness. I have a prototype in my garage based on RCF MB15H401 and JBL 2380A/BMS 4592. Sounds OK for what it is, but I have a few things to work out with it.
I'm thinking about buying a ME464 horn with a suitable driver to test it and a Limmer 085 waveguide to test with one of the RCF drivers I already have.

One of the advantages of these times are more project time available :)

You remember the poster from the 1998 Godzilla movie? SIZE MATTERS ;)
Love the snare does´t go anemic when pushed.
By chance I own 2x15" Tops with wave guides :)
Until now DE1050 on TD460 was the HF driver. It served me well, but has to go for 462 on Limmer 264.
Will make the killer rig for 500 people and maybe it can serve double duty as frontfill for my horn stack :LOL:

Last edited:
Love the snare does´t go anemic when pushed.
By chance I own 2x15" Tops with wave guides :)
Until now DE1050 on TD460 was the HF driver. It served me well, but has to go for 462 on Limmer 264.
Will make the killer rig for 500 people and maybe it can serve double duty as frontfill for my horn stack :LOL:
I'm thinking about buying a 264 horn to test against the horns I have based on your recommendations. I already have some 2" drivers but not a very good horn for them :)