B&C suggested mid-highs

neil Fernandes

Freshman
Jan 29, 2016
hello all!! i'm back with some more questions, this time with the Mid-Highs.

First off.. i would like to thank all that helped/contributed in the subwoofer thread.
Just an update on the subwoofer - i decided to go with 6.8 cuft with 37/38 Fb (Don't remember exactly), Drivers came in about 2 weeks ago, wood is all cut and now I'm just waiting for other accessories. should be all done in about 10-15 days.

now, i need help with Mid-Highs -

i am thinking of going with B&C's suggested designs F122A (12PLB76, DE82TN & ME90) or F122AN (12NW76, DE820TN & ME90) depending on which drivers are available.
- the main reason I'm going with this is because ME90 is a rotatable horn and i can use it either 80X60 (1 top under 2,1 or 0 sub per side) or 60X80 (2 tops under 4 subs per side). Right now i only have 4 subs under construction and it looks like i may need 4 more.

Problems -
-although B&C has provided the layout for the crossover, i don't understand it. is there a place or someone who sells them specifically for the above suggested designs?
-i would like to go with an inbuilt crossover rather than active - cos i think going active will make things more complicated for me, am i correct?
-do you'll think that i have chosen the right plan or i should look somewhere else? (also looked at the options at beyma. But, B&C or 18Sound is easier to source.

thankyou,

Re: B&C suggested mid-highs

1)-although B&C has provided the layout for the crossover, i don't understand it. is there a place or someone who sells them specifically for the above suggested designs?
2)-i would like to go with an inbuilt crossover rather than active - cos i think going active will make things more complicated for me, am i correct?
3)-do you'll think that i have chosen the right plan or i should look somewhere else? (also looked at the options at beyma. But, B&C or 18Sound is easier to source.
Neil,

1) The passive crossover design is specific for the speaker and horn components used, I doubt you would find anything "off the shelf" to match it.
The crossover is relatively complicated for a two way, but simply consists of light bulbs (HF protection), resistors (attenuation)- "r" is ohms, "w" is watts, capacitors ("uf" is microfarads, "v" is volts, and inductors (coils)- "mH" is millihenries, "g" is wire gauge, "iron" means the wire is wrapped around an iron core (less wire is needed to achieve the amount of mH required), if iron is not specified the coil is wound on an air core bobbin. The auto light bulbs are available at an auto parts store, all the other parts are available from Parts Express or various other speaker supply houses.
2)Wiring the passive crossover is more complicated, but saves one side of an amplifier and crossover.
3)Plan looks OK, and the most difficult part of a two-way design is the crossover, so having that already done is important.

Art

Hi Neil, it would be great if you used one of our recommended designs! Happy to help in any way I can. You may want to consider the newer DE90TN in ceramic or DE880TN in Nd for the compression driver, they're a little more durable and have a much smoother high frequency response than the previous generation. If you choose to use the passive crossover you should probably stick with the recommended components, but if you're going to bi-amp and process with a DSP anyway you could get a little cleaner HF sound with the newer components.

All these parts are in stock at our warehouse in New Jersey and can be purchased through any of our retail distributors. A list of our distributors can be found at http://www.bcspeakers.com/distributors/

Art,
1)thank you, for the brief explanation on the layout.
2)yes, that is the main reason I'm thinking passive is the way to go for me.
3)yes, i need to start reading and watching youtube videos on how to make one. before that i will try a shortcut though by going to a speaker repair shop with the printout of the layout to see of they can.

Bennett,
thank you for recommending the Comp drivers. Looks like DE880TN fits the bill and it's in stock with the guys i deal with along with ME90.
but, if i use the DE880TN instead of DE820TN in an F122AN, can i use the same passive crossover layout?

Art,
but, if i use the DE880TN instead of DE820TN in an F122AN, can i use the same passive crossover layout?
As Bennett said, you would probably best with sticking with the driver that the crossover is designed for.

The reason is that unless the impedance-phase and freq response, physical distance inside the driver etc are the same-then the crossover could change.

You "might" could swap out drivers and get lucky. The "sure" way would be use the recommended parts.

thank you Art, Ivan & Bennett, going with the recommended :)

have ordered one of 12NW76, DE820TN & ME90 to first see if i like them... will then either order more.
for the crossover build, a friend has decided to help.

if this doesn't work, then i'll go active and buy 2 powered tops for the smaller gigs where no subs are required and for bigger gigs i can use them as monitors.

Hi Bennett, might you know the reason why there are no 2x12 reflex+CD horn design with passive x-over on b&c site, while there are a 2x15 presented?

I like the steep roll-off around 100 from the 1x12" designs, but if it could be implemented with 2x12", de90tn and a passive x-over meeting up nicely at 90° with the 12's and good polar response it could be a very interesting cab, might be a suggestion for the b&c team :)