B&k 4007

Bennett Prescott

Just This Guy, You Know?
Staff member
Jan 10, 2011
Wallingford, CT
www.bennettprescott.com
I recently acquired a B&K4007 mic, which I would like to use for measurement. It pops loudly when the XLR is moved, which I assume means it just needs a little bit of cleaning. I am more concerned about the state of the capsule. I tried contacting DPA via their US sales office, who currently manage the 4007, but got no response.

Does anyone know who I should contact to get this mic measured for frequency response, and refurbished if out of spec? Obviously a 4007 is a tremendous asset, and useless if of unknown HF response. Being that it is B&K branded it is obviously rather old.

It's been a rough year for measurements mics for me, I only have my $100 backup mic to compare to since some idiot (me) dropped my other "very nice" mic right on the capsule. When compared to my cheap mic it has a HF droop of about 2dB at 16kHz. This could easily be my cheap mic being off, or it could be my 4007 has capsule damage.

Re: B&k 4007

Hello Bennett,

I have a call in to B&K regarding some other Test Equipment. They're also checking on information regarding the cal & Repair possibilities for your Mic. I'll let you know asap when I hear back from them.

UPDATE: Repair/Calibration information has been forwarded to you. Let me know if you have any difficulties.

Cheers,

Hammer

Last edited:

I recently acquired a B&K4007 mic, which I would like to use for measurement. It pops loudly when the XLR is moved, which I assume means it just needs a little bit of cleaning. I am more concerned about the state of the capsule. I tried contacting DPA via their US sales office, who currently manage the 4007, but got no response.

Does anyone know who I should contact to get this mic measured for frequency response, and refurbished if out of spec? Obviously a 4007 is a tremendous asset, and useless if of unknown HF response. Being that it is B&K branded it is obviously rather old.

It's been a rough year for measurements mics for me, I only have my $100 backup mic to compare to since some idiot (me) dropped my other "very nice" mic right on the capsule. When compared to my cheap mic it has a HF droop of about 2dB at 16kHz. This could easily be my cheap mic being off, or it could be my 4007 has capsule damage.
I have a pair of B&K 4004, both of which read slightly lower in the high end IIRC compared to the "cheap" RTA 420.
Just looked for the Smaart traces, couldn't find them, though I remember posting them on the old LAB.

Hello,

I realized that I should've posted this info for other users of B & K Microphones in the U.S.

If you have an older B & K Microphone and are only wishing a calibration, you can still send the Mic to Bruel & Kjaer's Norcross, Georgia facility.

But, if you have an older B & K Microphone and believe it to need repair, you'll need to send the Mic to DPA Microphones in Longmont, Colorado. DPA will also be able to calibrate the Microphone for you at this location. Contact: Shane Siebert @ 303-485-1025

Cheers,
Hammer

Hello,

I realized that I should've posted this info for other users of B & K Microphones in the U.S.

If you have an older B & K Microphone and are only wishing a calibration, you can still send the Mic to Bruel & Kjaer's Norcross, Georgia facility.

But, if you have an older B & K Microphone and believe it to need repair, you'll need to send the Mic to DPA Microphones in Longmont, Colorado. DPA will also be able to calibrate the Microphone for you at this location. Contact: Shane Siebert @ 303-485-1025

Cheers,
Hammer

Hammer
Thanks alot for the info. I need to send my matched pair of DPA 4006's in for a check up.
Peace
Rob

Hammer, do you have contact info for this? I need my pair re-cal'd before I SIM my next facility. It's been years!

Hello Jim,

The Mics can be sent for calibration and a cert. to B&K in Norcross: Bruel & Kjaer
2815 Colonnades Court
Norcross, GA 30071
770- 209- 6907

I'd suggest that you call before sending anything, they have a "system", which includes the customer obtaining an RMA number. Or, as I've previously posted, Mics can be sent to DPA in Colorado for repairs & calibration.

Good Luck,
Hammer

My friend Kim Girardin should be able to help you in several ways.
He has a ACO Pacific
http://www.libinst.com/aco_pacific_microphones.htm
Liberty Instruments sells one of the ACO Padific. At the Liberty Instruments site look for microphones on the left side of the screen and near the bottom.

He does not own a B&K but I believe he knows a lot about them and similar instruments.

Kim has taken over day to day operations of Liberty Imstruments (Praxis, AudioPass, etc).
http://www.libinst.com/

Look for his email link top of the page.

He makes the microphones sold with Praxis and LAUD before it.
He also does all the calibration for his own mic and any sent into him.
Typical 300 points compared to his ACO referencer mic ( If I remember correctly) for both SPL and Phase.

He has talked to me several times about the care and feeding of these expensive laboratory instrument mics.
This not not straight forward at all. I was surprised what you had to do to keep them from damage that has nothing to do with dropping them.

He should also be able to tell you who to talk to about doing a serious calibration form B&K or someone they approve of.

I know he has his ACO calibrated to someone in or near the Mid West.
Having the piston type calibrator is expensive.

He can do a calibration compared to his ACO Pacific for around $30 last I knew.
This would import into Praxis, Clio and various analyzers and modeling programs.

Please use my name. He won't charge you more then double... LOL

He has talked to me several times about the care and feeding of these expensive laboratory instrument mics.
This not not straight forward at all. I was surprised what you had to do to keep them from damage that has nothing to do with dropping them.
Too Tall,

Other than protection from shock, too much SPL, dust, high humidity, high heat, static discharge, and rapid freeze/thaw, any thing else on his "don't do" to your microphone list?

What "care and feeding" is needed?

Art