Balance

Re: Balance

It seems to me that there is no way you are going to need or use the features available on the X32 when mixing from stage in a 150 cap room. Was that choice made by buying all the hype or do you think it is the logical choice for the job at hand?

Possibly for additional capacity when he's mixing someone else's band in a bigger room?

It seems to me that there is no way you are going to need or use the features available on the X32 when mixing from stage in a 150 cap room. Was that choice made by buying all the hype or do you think it is the logical choice for the job at hand?
Gates/expanders and compressors not needed? Delay/reverb for the vox? Multiband limiter/compressor on the mains? Scene management? I don't call that hype, I'd use them in a snap.

Using a community created app the mixer can even have the headamps setup automagically...

Remote control of your iem's and/or monitors.

By using the Dave Rat method of live mixing you get a semi-auto mixing desk. It uses almost all your dca's and subgroups including most compressors.

All of this sounds perfect for the soundengineer-less band...

I'd say it's a logical choice ;-)

Now back to what the OP asked about - how to balance the technical part of the gig with the creative side.

For me, making the transition from system engineer to mixerperson involves talking to the band (however briefly) about what they absolutely DONT want, get some guidance for what they like, and try to get a feel for the general nature of their presentation. It involves having a hot meal not eaten at the console. It involves 10 minutes away from everything to get my shit together and start thinking and feeling like I'm the BE, not the SE, and that I want the best possible mix I can deliver. Kind of psyching up for the gig...

And I'd like to plug a band from Sydney, AU that opened for Sevendust the other night: Monks of Mellonwah. Kind of an alt/indy rock with some art rock influences. Incredibly nice bunch, manageable stage levels and interesting music. Fun to mix. I hope we see them again.

Indeed, I chose the full-size X32 with an eye toward mixing other bands, for which it's proven very useful (and admittedly, there are many useful features I'm not yet fully utilizing.) The smaller versions hadn't started shipping when I made the purchase, and I was reluctant to dive headfirst into a fully-ipad-dependent situation with the rack. Having gained more familiarity and confidence with the pad, the rack is looking more and more like the right tool for the job...

Things like 'having 10 minutes outside' and 'a meal away from the console' make a big difference in promoting the shift in mental orientation. We're at it again tonight, in a smaller room even. I've mixed a few other bands in here throughout the summer, and tonight its our turn. Going to practice equipment minimalism and make use of saved settings from our set and others. And more beer... we'll see how it goes.

Our bass player has his amp on the other side of the drummer pointed our way. The theory is with the longer bass sound waves, it gives them some room to stretch out before it gets to him, he has some bass in his monitor as well.

As a bass player, I've experienced this phenomenon of the cabinet being easier to hear when located some distance away and pointed at me, rather than beside me at my feet (or under my rear end).

As a physicist, I've always been uncomfortable with the idea that the explanation involves long bass wavelengths somehow needing some minimum cab-listener separation to build up.

As a bass player, I've experienced this phenomenon of the cabinet being easier to hear when located some distance away and pointed at me, rather than beside me at my feet (or under my rear end).

As a physicist, I've always been uncomfortable with the idea that the explanation involves long bass wavelengths somehow needing some minimum cab-listener separation to build up.

Any chance the explanation involves HF content and cabinet directivity?

Any chance the explanation involves HF content and cabinet directivity?
Anybody who's ever played through an 8x10 knows that to be true - having those top speakers somewhere near you ears makes a huge difference. Same principle applies to those stoopid loud guitarist who firmly believe that their ears are on their knees <facepalm>.

Anybody who's ever played through an 8x10 knows that to be true - having those top speakers somewhere near you ears makes a huge difference. Same principle applies to those stoopid loud guitarist who firmly believe that their ears are on their knees <facepalm>.

Ah yes. With the amp being across the stage, the sound that's opening up might be more on axsis.