Bang for the Buck subs: JBL SRX828P?

Dev Conboy

Freshman
Dec 8, 2013
St. Louis/Chicago
Looking for the best bang for my buck in terms of Subs. Thinking about buying 2 SRX828P's Wondering if anyone has had any experience with these? They claim they hit 141db spec's are pretty good. Better options for similar price out there? Connivence and size are not too big of an issue. I'll be hitting them fairly hard with EDM style shows, need to keep up with 4 SRX815P tops.

Reactions: dradlin
Re: Bang for the Buck subs: JBL SRX828P?

You have the SRX tops, the SRX subs are a natural choice, since they are in the same family of speakers. However, 2 subs to 4 tops for EDM might be on the light side, depending on how you like your mix to sound.

Search the forum - there have been discussions about how to configure compression/limiting on srx828Sp's to achieve higher output. That said, I agree with Brian - you might need 4 of those subs to match your top cabs (but, I'll defer to owners of the SRX800 series).

Dave

Search the forum - there have been discussions about how to configure compression/limiting on srx828Sp's to achieve higher output. That said, I agree with Brian - you might need 4 of those subs to match your top cabs (but, I'll defer to owners of the SRX800 series).

Dave

Dave, could you tell me where you saw this on the forum? I searched for "srx828p" and "srx828sp" and both return zero results.
Thanks,
-Ricky

Dave

I finally have had access to an 828SP so I wanted to see what all the fuss about drive levels is about.

THERE IS NOT ANY ADDITIONAL OUTPUT AVAILABLE BEYOND THE RATED LEVEL. This means that anything you do with the input compressor's output level control doesn't give your "more", you just get to either the input clip, output clip, or hard limiting with less input level.

After some poking around in the DSP via Audio Architect I can tell you this: the pass band output level is already set at +6dB. Anything you see in Audio Architect without having the speaker connected to the computer and powered up is simply a place holder value and does not reflect what JBL has put inside the box...

I had part of our DB Technologies T-4 out in the shop so it became the top box side... and what I found was that with a PAIR of T4, I needed to dial back the T4 input sensitivity by about -4dB to make them match at my ears. I suppose I could have turned up the 828SP pass band output to +10, but I didn't see any reason to do so. Since we use "subs on aux" about 97% of the time it's a nonissue for us.... but with the T4 dialed back, both parts of the system went into limit pretty much simultaneously with the program material I was using (Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes, one of the live versions) and it was "yell at the guy an arms length away" SPL. Nice and technical, eh?

So now that I've had my hands and computer on an 828SP I'm trying to figure out what all the fuss was about. I wonder if JBL raised the default pass band level after the first batch of production? There were a lot comments from folks that bought the 828SP and just dropped it in where they'd used other powered boxes and found the output level lower. Rather than spin a couple knobs on the top boxes they decided they MUST get inside the 828SP's DSP.... I've not used the other products that were paired with the 828SP by users here or over at PSW, but this confirms my previous suspicions - it's a simple drive level issue (hit it a little harder, you'll be okay).

That all said, the 828SP goes deep and seems smooth. I need to do a side by side with the SRX728 and some different power amps (XTI 6002 and I-Tech HD 12000). The 728 seem a little one-note aroud 58Hz to me and I think it's a cabinet resonance because it's impossible to EQ out.

I finally have had access to an 828SP so I wanted to see what all the fuss about drive levels is about.

I look forward to hearing your opinions on the 828 vs 728.

I tend to agree on the peak, I always guessed it was around 60Hz so I think we are in the ball park. JBLs recommended boost (around 34Hz IIRC) seems to help, I've always been impressed by the low frequency extension in the 728.

I too am interested to hear when you get to compare the 728 to the 828. I have a couple 728s and some spare amps so wondering what the best move would be to buy a couple more 728s or sell off and move to 828s.