Bass Guitar Preamp

Thanks for the response everyone, all good stuff. The players tone is fine and it has worked for years. I forget the make and model of his guitar, but I do know it's a middle of the row active bass. It's not terrible by any means and his playing is not bad either. I've been doing some freelance work and some of these bass guitars just pop right into the mix with little effort. I just want a nice fat, round, strong, signal. currently it gets a bit "mucky" even with a hacked EQ.

Thanks everyone

If the tone is fine, why is the eq hacked?

Sent from my iPad HD

Re: Bass Guitar Preamp

Being that guitar tones can be a bit more complex:

Fractal Audio Systems Axe-Fx II Guitar Processor, Preamp, effects processor, amp modeler, guitar effects

And more expensive as well..LOL

Too much for me. I'll be dead before I could get that programmed! LOL!
It would be great just to have a "Fender reverb amp in a DI" DI.
(that actually sounded good, like a fender. Not sounds good like a "soy based processed, pseudo music like product by hans ringer" sort of good)

What are you using for compression? To fast of an attack time can really dull a bass tone. I have found a good compressor setting makes a huge difference on a DI bass guitar. As far as an DI I have used most all of them. If money were not an object I would pick the Avalon U5 out of the choices above. I like most of the others listed as well but the Avalon is really in a different league. I have not tried the Eden but it looks interesting.

DBX 160 (A/X/XT)
Done.

If the tone is fine, why is the eq hacked?

Sent from my iPad HD

Ed Zachary!!!

If their tone isn't suitable for putting through the PA without a special device, why are you (as a sound provider) required to go out and by a special purpose unit? You might as well be handing him a set of expensive strings, an expensive Monster brand wonder bass cable or even bring him a better instrument.

Let him suck out loud.
grrrrr

Ed Zachary!!!

If their tone isn't suitable for putting through the PA without a special device, why are you (as a sound provider) required to go out and by a special purpose unit? You might as well be handing him a set of expensive strings, an expensive Monster brand wonder bass cable or even bring him a better instrument.

Let him suck out loud.
grrrrr

Expect a "musician" to actually be able to control his/her own tone, dynamics and blend? BLASPHEMY!

Too much for me. I'll be dead before I could get that programmed! LOL!
It would be great just to have a "Fender reverb amp in a DI" DI.
(that actually sounded good, like a fender. Not sounds good like a "soy based processed, pseudo music like product by hans ringer" sort of good)

Not that hard to program, or so I'm told. These things are incredible..I have a namesake that's supposed to be good as well.

Profiler | Kemper Profiling Amplifier | KPA | Guitar Amplification Redefined

Hi fellas,

I am currently working with a bass player that walks in and plugs his guitar into a direct box. The signal I'm getting is extremely dull and lifeless. Is there an affordable (<$300) preamp any of you techies could suggest. Preferably not rack mountable, but if it's going to blow my mind I could reconsider the rack option.

Thanks gang

BAck to the OP's question. If a J48 won't work on it, there is an issue somewhere. Change the strings, battery, quit hacking the EQ, buy a Fender.. Something is not right.

PS.. I don't see the big deal in Aguilar gear either

Off topic, but I've yet to see (or hear) the attraction of Aguilar gear.

Any bass signal that I don't have to eq or compress and comes with plenty of signal is pretty attractive to me. I will say that this guy has been playing bass since 1979 so knows how to play with just about anything you but in front of him.

Hi fellas,

I am currently working with a bass player that walks in and plugs his guitar into a direct box. The signal I'm getting is extremely dull and lifeless. Is there an affordable (<$300) preamp any of you techies could suggest. Preferably not rack mountable, but if it's going to blow my mind I could reconsider the rack option.

Thanks gang

did anyone ask if you are using an active or passive direct box, and if the bass guitar has an active or passive pickup? use active direct boxes on passive pickups because their high input impedance does not load the pickup and keeps things sounding as they should.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

It looks to me that the big cut is right where the cut and clarity of the front edge of the bass note sits.

I would expect that tone to be overly boomy with little to distinguish between notes.